Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 GL-5 Wagon to get it or not to get it

I have been offered a low mile 2wd GL-5 wagon for 200 bucks the owner wants it to go to a good home and says that he thinks I would give it one. its a ok wagon for the year no rust few dints you on the normal old persons car, but I already have 16 wagons ranging from 76-91 setting on my farm and thats not counting the new stuff or the brats,hatchs,sedans,couples,and FE. I already have rusting away. (setting because of the rust mostly) I just don't think I need this one and not really sure if I should get it for myself it being 2wd and all. I guess I could put it in one of the barns with the FE and willys jeep but, it will just sit a take up space. now that we have the BAJA we don't need anther daily driver and if I get it right now my wife would want to give it to her sister. which are having a hard time right now but I think its their fault and I don't owe them anther car. I have already gave them an 97 outback wagon which they lost to a title loan company and destroyed the(and send to the crusher) 84 wagon we sold them for almost nothing before that. I just don't want to see this one get rode hard and hang up wet trashed and then crushed. (thats what people do to old cars around here thats are not V8s stuiped rednecks)Its way to nice for that and I know I want to save this car but, I don't really have the time right now for it (if this job I found here in town doesn't pan out I'll be working on the road again and this time it will be in Mexico for three months) and the old man that has the car actually said he didn't want his grandson to get it he wants me to have it. thats why he is offering it to me so cheap.

Edited by 84gl

Yikes! Uh..... punctuation man. :eek: That's a run-on.... paragraph I think.

Makes it really hard to follow your thoughts. Just saying.....

I say turn it down. Sounds like you have enough already and a 2WD '81 is pretty much worth nothing - not even your time. If it were a hatch.... maybe. But not a wagon. Dime a dozen.

GD

GD I have 3 hatches right now one my wife daily drives and two parts cars they are all rusty the wifes hatch just does have any rot on the frame yet. I just don't like the hatchbacks that much cargo space of a wagon for hauling people and farm supplies is more importation that the gas mileage I have just found the hatchs to be too small for my use. We don't need anymore cars like I said if I get this wagon it will just be to save it from the crusher. its not rare or anything like the other wagons I keep as daily drivers which are a 89 touring wagon and a lifted 84 GL-10 wagon both of which have no rust and have been in my family for years

the first post is fixed now sorry I was half asleep when I wrote it

two years ago before I got layed off I had an 97 outback wagon I got for 1100 bucks (broke tbelt) and my wife didn't like it she said it used too much gas (auto) and wouldn't use it as her work car so she just drove the 04 forester so I drove it for 6 months or so got layed off and didn't need the 7 car insurance payment so she talked me into giving it away to her sister and selling the forester buying the baja and taking my wagons off the road and driving my brat so if I get this wagon in til I'm working full time again it will set

And yes I know the wagon is the least valuable of the ea81 cars but with 61k and no rust It will someday

Edited by 84gl

i think you should buy it for 200, then sell it to me for 300! :) up here in the rust belt, rust free subies of ANY year are hard to come by... never mind ea81's i would buy it in a second! I dont mind the wagons, although i do prefer hatches, i have 2 of them now but they are rusty.. would love a rust free ea81!! let me know, im seriously interested, and would give it a GREAT HOME!

I'll keep you in mind as I think I'm going to buy it after all even if the wife throws a fit she want even now I have it anyway I'll just put it on the farm in the barn with the jeep if she does find out and blow up in a year or so I think it will be worth it anyway

so what are you wanting I have a few ea81s in good shape with alittle rust but have some parts taken off of them

I should rephrase - it would be a good deal to someone. But not to someone that has as many vehicles as you apparently do. If it's going to just sit in a barn then what's the point?

Personally I'm in the same boat. People want to give me stuff all the time - I got handed the title and keys to a '93 Legacy wagon not long ago. :rolleyes:. I could have almost an umlimited supply of unwanted EA82's...... I can't store them all nor do I even have time to part them out. I have 6 cars of my own (5 Subaru's and a truck) and usually between 8 and 12 sitting here at all times in various states.

A FWD EA81 (and an early '81 model at that) is the LAST thing I need. That's an albatross that will never go away. That's like the last FWD EA82 I had - had to sell it for $500 to get it out of my way and it only had 118k on it. :-\. If I can't sell it and don't want to drive it - then I would rather not be tripping over it.... know what I mean?

GD

But you all don't completely under stand I have a 163 acre farm in southwest VA with well over a 100 cars and trucks setting on it it was and still is the family farm which has passed to me 6 years ago. some of the cars are in my way and some aren't they are mostly from other family members which have parked/stored them there over the years and range from the 1920s-1990s the subarus are my contribution to the going family junkyard or so to speak most of which are rust buckets I am too attached to my 1st car etc I only have about 7 rust free 80s subarus thats counting the 81 I just bought if someday I start selling off old cars I'll let every one know but for now I might part out few of the rustiest ones this winter if anyone needs parts

I should rephrase - it would be a good deal to someone. But not to someone that has as many vehicles as you apparently do. If it's going to just sit in a barn then what's the point?

Personally I'm in the same boat. People want to give me stuff all the time - I got handed the title and keys to a '93 Legacy wagon not long ago. :rolleyes:. I could have almost an umlimited supply of unwanted EA82's...... I can't store them all nor do I even have time to part them out. I have 6 cars of my own (5 Subaru's and a truck) and usually between 8 and 12 sitting here at all times in various states.

A FWD EA81 (and an early '81 model at that) is the LAST thing I need. That's an albatross that will never go away. That's like the last FWD EA82 I had - had to sell it for $500 to get it out of my way and it only had 118k on it. :-\. If I can't sell it and don't want to drive it - then I would rather not be tripping over it.... know what I mean?

GD

GD I do trip over them from time to time and they get in my way to