Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The MWE's I've gotten did not include a new axle nut or spring pin. I think on his site it says he has plenty of axle nuts so if you need them to let him know before they ship and he'll include them.

The spring pin it seems like a 1/4" of adequate length would work. I keep a few extra Subaru spring pins on hand since they are only $1. The new axle nuts are more like $4.

axlenut1-sm.jpgrollpin1.jpg

Reuse it's not a big deal, I do it all the time and I'm working on all sorts of different cars, not just my own. I've done countless axles and have never used a new nut except many moons ago when I lost one and didn't have a box of old ones lying around.

The only caveat is that you do it right, but that's the case with new or old.

Of course it's just a nut too, so buy a new one if you're worried about it! Call MWE too, he's really nice and might have some to sell with it.

MWE's e-mails say if you need an axle nut to let him know when you order the axle and he'll send one. I just ordered an axle for my '94.

One benefit in reusing the old nut is that then it matches the rest of the car. A nice shiny new axle nut on an otherwise how should we say 'well weathered' soob sometimes just doesn't look right. :lol:

Most of the time when you put the axle nut back on, the punched portion ends up in a slightly different place than the groove in the axle stub anyway.

It's the self locking nuts (the ones that look oval because they squeeze them) that you want to replace each time. Even though I usually don't on my cars. It was enough of a PITA for me to remove, I doubt it's gonna take itself off when I put it back on the same way I took it off with a breaker bar and standing on a 4 foot pipe. :banana:

MWE's e-mails say if you need an axle nut to let him know when you order the axle and he'll send one. I just ordered an axle for my '94.

One benefit in reusing the old nut is that then it matches the rest of the car. A nice shiny new axle nut on an otherwise how should we say 'well weathered' soob sometimes just doesn't look right. :lol:

If you decide to expose your weather-beaten (axle) nuts to the world, we don't need to know about it!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
The MWE's I've gotten did not include a new axle nut or spring pin. I think on his site it says he has plenty of axle nuts so if you need them to let him know before they ship and he'll include them.

Yep i just got a 'new' axle from him last week. He sent me a new nut free of charge. All i did was write "please include axle nut" On my paypal payment.

I really like MWE. Just my two cents.

how much was the shipping and how far did it ship.???

I ordered one from him last week and these are his exact words when he replied my e-mail:

We have remanufactured axles for:

1973-1999= $85.00 each exchange, Reman. CV:

2000-2004=$95.00 each exchange, Reman CV:

2005-2009= $195.00 & up. Call for Type, pricing, and availability.

$35.00 Core charge per axle: Refundable when core is received back.

$30.00 Shipping & Handling per axle, Shipping for 2 Axles $ 50.00:

We also offer a New CV program: $ 20.00 more per axle we will build you axles with a New CV joint. "Very Nice Quality"

All axles have a one year warranty parts only.

We will not warranty any axles used in: Lifted, Race, Stunt, Off-road Race, Vehicles.

Should you decide to order you can do so Thur PayPal.com

http://www.paypal.com Go to mwolf1303@juno.com

You can pay with credit card, and put all vehicle information along with all shipping information.

PLEASE NOTE: Axles ship via UPS ground, orders processed, usually within 24 to 48 hrs. of fund clearing PayPal Acct.

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Also if the core charge is a problem, I can work with you on that, as long as you return the old cores, Call for details..

Thank You for your inquiry, we look forward to your order.

Spring pins, grease seals, installation instructions, we do not provide.

Axles nuts I have plenty of, so with your order please make a note about the nuts and I will make sure they are enclosed in your shipment.

When he e-mailed me again to notify shipping, he said he installed a new CV for me at no charge ( I ordered a reman for my 96, paid $150 to his Paypal account). Don't know if he put a new CV for outer or inner joint, or both. I guess he didn't have a reman ready but had a new one at hand when my order was placed. I should get it tomrrrow.

I ordered one from him last week and these are his exact words when he replied my e-mail:

We have remanufactured axles for:

1973-1999= $85.00 each exchange, Reman. CV:

2000-2004=$95.00 each exchange, Reman CV:

2005-2009= $195.00 & up. Call for Type, pricing, and availability.

$35.00 Core charge per axle: Refundable when core is received back.

$30.00 Shipping & Handling per axle, Shipping for 2 Axles $ 50.00:

We also offer a New CV program: $ 20.00 more per axle we will build you axles with a New CV joint. "Very Nice Quality"

All axles have a one year warranty parts only.

We will not warranty any axles used in: Lifted, Race, Stunt, Off-road Race, Vehicles.

Should you decide to order you can do so Thur PayPal.com

http://www.paypal.com Go to mwolf1303@juno.com

You can pay with credit card, and put all vehicle information along with all shipping information.

PLEASE NOTE: Axles ship via UPS ground, orders processed, usually within 24 to 48 hrs. of fund clearing PayPal Acct.

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Also if the core charge is a problem, I can work with you on that, as long as you return the old cores, Call for details..

Thank You for your inquiry, we look forward to your order.

Spring pins, grease seals, installation instructions, we do not provide.

Axles nuts I have plenty of, so with your order please make a note about the nuts and I will make sure they are enclosed in your shipment.

When he e-mailed me again to notify shipping, he said he installed a new CV for me at no charge ( I ordered a reman for my 96, paid $150 to his Paypal account). Don't know if he put a new CV for outer or inner joint, or both. I guess he didn't have a reman ready but had a new one at hand when my order was placed. I should get it tomrrrow.

I got the axle today but with a surprise. There is a penetrating cut/tear on the outer joint boot, about the width of my thumb. I'll try to post pics.

You can see through the broken boot that the grease they use has a brown/pink color, not the dark gray kind.

The outer joint appears to be new (he told me he built a new CV for me). It's polished shiny and does not have any paint on it while the inner joint is painted blue. The outer joint has this (OE) carved on the metal followed by a part #. Anyone knows what manufacturer that is? Reputable?

The boots that NWE used on my axle (other than the damage) is ok quality, but not as good as OEM boots. Don't know how long they'll last. My factory boots are still intact after 130K miles. One of them just started to show a small and superficial crack.

Can someone tell me, on some axle pictures I've seen on this forum, there is a cogged ring near the outer joint dust shield, what's that for?

The nut they sent me is gold. Not sure if it's the same quality as Subaru's gold nut. (Edit: I compared mine with the pic Porcupine73 posted, they are not identical. Same size 32mm but from a different source.)

post-24545-136027644219_thumb.jpg

post-24545-136027644227_thumb.jpg

post-24545-136027644231_thumb.jpg

post-24545-136027644236_thumb.jpg

Edited by vasy
Adding info for axle nut.

Can someone tell me, on some axle pictures I've seen on this forum, there is a cogged ring near the outer joint dust shield, what's that for?

ABS tone ring. The ABS Wheel Speed Sensor "counts" those teeth as they pass by the sensor to determine... bet you'd never guess this... wheel speed. :banana::lol:

Was the box damaged when you received the axle? A cut boot seems a bit odd.

ABS tone ring. The ABS Wheel Speed Sensor "counts" those teeth as they pass by the sensor to determine... bet you'd never guess this... wheel speed. :banana::lol:

Was the box damaged when you received the axle? A cut boot seems a bit odd.

ABS-related and that's what I was afraid of - the axle NWE sent me does not have this ring. I told him I had ABS when ordering so I need to tell him this now to avoid another mistake.

The box was not damaged in any way. The boot damage looks like a clean cut by a sharp object. I already sent him an e-mail for replacement.

Regarding the quality of components, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Marshall obviously knows what he is doing to get a good reputation in the Subaru community. I've looked at the boots on the MWE axles and genuine Subaru boots and I don't see much difference myself. If a person doesn't like the free axle nut that comes with the axle they can easily buy one from Subaru; they're only like $4.

My last axle had a new joint on it like that too; I didn't ask for it, it just came with it. OE might mean original equipment (which doesn't mean anything other than it might be a brand name; OE and OEM are grossly overused terms in the industry).

Now don't forget, Subaru themselves also sell remanufactured axles. So if you want something guaranteed to be remanufactured to Subaru specifications, then that might be a way to go. They vary in price but are usually around $180 on up.

ABS related yes, BUT your soob may not use that type of sensor for the ABS. Some earlier years used a tone ring bolted to the back of the hub; later models used a tone ring on the axle.

Did your old axle have the tone ring on it? If it didn't then you don't need one on your new axle either.

My son has the car but he is in college away from home so I don't know if my old axle has/needs a tone ring. Mine is a 96 OBW. Anyone knows?

ABS related yes, BUT your soob may not use that type of sensor for the ABS. Some earlier years used a tone ring bolted to the back of the hub; later models used a tone ring on the axle.

Did your old axle have the tone ring on it? If it didn't then you don't need one on your new axle either.

Porc, I just read an old post of yours with some pics of your axle replacement. It's a red car with orange paint on brake caliper. The original axle (with green paint on inner joint) taken off from that car has tone ring but the Subaru reman in your pic does not. Did you use that reman w/o tone ring to replace the original with ring? Is that a 96? I'm trying to find out without looking at my car, which I don't have with me now, if I need a tone ring.

I have full confidence in NWE's product with regard to the quality of its CV's mechanical joints. That's why I ordered one from them. I've done extensive research before purchase. I just would like to share my experience with others.