Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 subaru rx aftermarket performance parts

BrandonZL1

And then there were some being broken on test drives....

They weren't all bad eggs but the gears weren't shot peened, they were thinner and the quality control was clearly off.

Some seem to be a problem right away while other's just last forever.

A single instance of lasting reliability here or there is to be expected - it's not a 100% failure rate - if it were they would have had to recall them - the consumer backlash would have been too intense.

GD

And then there were some being broken on test drives....

Due to abuse. I witnessed first hand the kinds of things the dealer-idiots did to the cars when they first showed up and what kinds of things the first test driving idiots did.

JAPAN didnt expect the USA to abuse the car like that. All the WRX's elsewhere in the world had the same gears with no failures because elsewhere in the world PEOPLE ARE MORE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS.

They weren't all bad eggs but the gears weren't shot peened, they were thinner and the quality control was clearly off.

Nothing is shot peened from the factory inside that transmission. Just like the 2009 WRX having a 'strengthened' mainshaft over the 08. BULLCRAP. Same part number.

And honestly, excluding abuse, the failure rate inside any of the 5MT transmissions, is pretty much nil.

Some seem to be a problem right away while other's just last forever.

Again, due to driving habits. I cant tell you about how many people I know making nearly over 300hp/350tq at the wheels on a stock 5MT that they daily drive and have no issues. Meanwhile, we still get idiots with bone stock cars come in with stripped gears (02~11) and claim it broke while backing out of the driveway or "I dont know, it just broke!" or some other lame excuse.

A single instance of lasting reliability here or there is to be expected - it's not a 100% failure rate - if it were they would have had to recall them - the consumer backlash would have been too intense.

GD

Had there been a 100% failure rate, then SOA/FUJI would have stepped in and started replacing ASSEMBLIES w/out question like they have been doing on the 2008~2009 WRX/STi/Forester turbo engines and the 2010 CVTs in the Legacy and Outback.

But, its abuse, plain and simple.

However, the absolute most TQ you can put to an N/A gearset (including the 2002~2003.0 WRX) w/out shock or abuse is right at 450 wheel TQ. Then it shreds. The RA and 2003.5+ gears will typically take around 500~550 TQ before shreding. Then you need PPG's which will still break in the 550~650 range.

At that point, you should have invested in a real 6MT a LONG time ago.

Edited by WJM

There were Geniune Rally parts avaible for the RX. But I would say they are all used up by now. As far as I know they arnt listed in Parts books and were only a seprate documents saying those parts numbers and setting etc.

You could get forged pistons, Springs and shocks and lots more.

Like I said theres be no chance in Hell they would be avaible now.

There were Geniune Rally parts avaible for the RX. But I would say they are all used up by now. As far as I know they arnt listed in Parts books and were only a seprate documents saying those parts numbers and setting etc.

You could get forged pistons, Springs and shocks and lots more.

Like I said theres be no chance in Hell they would be avaible now.

I've got one of those books...awesome set of parts to have for a street car.

• 1 month later...

WJM - (assuming we're talking about the same book) do you have the first nine pages; the ones not included on the Faber rally web page?

RE: factory rally cars: Know of any coupe interior pics detailing the safety cage structurals? I've spent a whack of time combing the 'net....

Thanks,

Jason

new favorite thread

im looking for a better quility copy of the book than i can get from the faberit website. i plan on seeing them at one stage and documenting the car that they have built but it isnt much of an RX anymore, just the motor and body from what ive heard.

whats the book called btw?

Don't know what the book is really called.... If only we had the first page :rolleyes:

Seems a majority of the stuff is based on factory comp. parts, but the body mod section is interesting. Just based on the pics of the plates they add to the unibody, should be able to fab something close. I'm hoping to find some pics of the cages they ran to gain some more insight into the body's weak points.

I started looking through some of your 700ish :eek: threads, trying to glean some RX knowledge. Unfortunately, most of the older pics have expired. There was one thread, circa '05, speaking of parts you removed from a GL10 sedan to be welded to the RX. What all did you take?

Thanks,

Jason

[quote=Mudpup;974599

RE: factory rally cars: Know of any coupe interior pics detailing the safety cage structurals? I've spent a whack of time combing the 'net....

im currently in contact with some of possum bournes mechanics from back in the day, trying to get them to check if they have the homoligation papers. no luck yet =/

I started looking through some of your 700ish :eek: threads, trying to glean some RX knowledge. Unfortunately, most of the older pics have expired. There was one thread, circa '05, speaking of parts you removed from a GL10 sedan to be welded to the RX. What all did you take?

Thanks,

Jason

The front clip.

Toe out in the back of an RX is a BAD idea and end with a tree. I traded the engine for a GL-10 sedan in white and cut/cut and welded on a front clip to fix the RX.