Ultimate Subaru Message Board

opinion

True2Blue

How much lift are we talking?

GL is easier to lift, lighter, swapping in an EJ is pretty easy too.

But the IMP suspension is superior for upgrades, wheels, brakes etc...And the rear axles are way better. But putting a D/R in one isn't excactly easy.....and you need a lengthed driveline, custom shifter......Oh and front axles from a 93-94 FWD Imp. (or split the d/r case and put 25 spline stubs in it, that's what we did for the D/R in the Legacy)

I'd say cost not a factor, the Imp OBS would be the way to go.

Cost a factor.....GL wins hands down. (you will probably have to buy an old GL anyhow for the D/R 5spd, LOL)

GL, hands down

Cheaper to replace

less to go wrong

better approach and departure angles

cheaper to start

available lift kits off the shelf

crank windows (on older models)

EJ swap is easy these days

Outback,

Reliable, comfortable and a great car for getting to work Monday morning after you rip out an axle or break a knuckle on the GL

Cheaper to replace

ess to go wrong
I don't know, seems like there is more likelyhood of problems on the older car. I kinda see GLs as having MORE to go wrong at this point......with harder to get parts.
better approach and departure angles
No way.....OBS is the same or shorter WB, and has a shorter rear overhang.......take off the front bumper and the OBS now has BETTER approach and departure

cheaper to start
Fair enough....although I'm seeing some pretty cheap Imprezas these days.

available lift kits off the shelf
I make a kit for this car....."on the shelf" right now....PM me.

crank windows (on older models)
Lot's of Imps have crank windows.

EJ swap is easy these days
True, but the Imp has an EJ in it already. Swapping the D/R is way less wiring...just a bit extra Fab work for Crossmember, Driveline, etc.

Just my $.02

I don't know, seems like there is more likelyhood of problems on the older car. I kinda see GLs as having MORE to go wrong at this point......with harder to get parts.

in the pnw id say obs parts are at least as hard if not harder (ntm more expensive) to obtain. im lookin at a 92 loyale today needs clutch. i can buy it for 200 bucks. l series cars can be had complete for parts for under $3-400 all day out here.

obs= plastic, gl= mostly metal

.02 RV

in the pnw id say obs parts are at least as hard if not harder (ntm more expensive) to obtain. im lookin at a 92 loyale today needs clutch. i can buy it for 200 bucks. l series cars can be had complete for parts for under $3-400 all day out here.

Yeah, you can get em for 200 because they are all breaking down. Hubs stripping, rear wheel bearings going out, center driveline u-joints.

And I know for a fact that Impreza parts are ussually in stock, easier to get at any of the local auto parts stortes (almost all the enigne and drivetrain stuff is the same as Legacy)

In contrast.....getting anything, even brakes, for a GL is becoming hard....espescially for quality parts that won't break right away.

To me, the seller is the 5 lug wheels, better brkaes, and better axles.

obs= plastic, gl= mostly metal

Uhh......bumper skins maybe......otherwise, the Impreza is a way stronger platform.

I've wheeled my GL with my brothers Legacy. Even with twice the lift on my GL, he goes everywhere I do with ease. The Imp is the same platform as the legacy with a few inches shorter wheelbase, so I'm sure it will rock.

The rear suspension espescially is FAR superioir on the EJ chassis.

All i have to say is i have pushed my OBS just has hard as my Brat. I did rallycross for a few years and still do TSD's and that can put some hard abuse on the impreza and it takes it without a sweat.

And i think the reason you dont see many imprezas showing up for cheap is because they are all still being used :grin:

If my OBS wasnt my daily/once in a while rally car i would lift it in a heart beat. But thats why i bought a Brat :rolleyes:

-Andy

You specifically stated OBS, not impreza, which as a trim level has more electrical do-dads, and is not the impreza you're now comparing the GL to.

If you remove the bumpers on the GL you get the same benefits as you would if you did it to the impreza.

For most, especially on this forum it boils down to cost, I'd rather have to go straight from the trail to the wreckers in a car that cost 500 than 5000+

with that said lifting an obs would be (to me) like some other kid lifting an 06 f350 theres no real reason to your not going to use the life to its potential but you want it done...

i just want a NICE lifted wagon that can seriously scoot while keeping it all subaru. yanno i love the ea/gl bodys i love em i also like the 96-98 obs

so i quess its whatever crosses my path first

Yeah, you can get em for 200 because they are all breaking down. Hubs stripping, rear wheel bearings going out, center driveline u-joints.

And I know for a fact that Impreza parts are ussually in stock, easier to get at any of the local auto parts stortes (almost all the enigne and drivetrain stuff is the same as Legacy)

In contrast.....getting anything, even brakes, for a GL is becoming hard....espescially for quality parts that won't break right away.

To me, the seller is the 5 lug wheels, better brkaes, and better axles.

Uhh......bumper skins maybe......otherwise, the Impreza is a way stronger platform.

I've wheeled my GL with my brothers Legacy. Even with twice the lift on my GL, he goes everywhere I do with ease. The Imp is the same platform as the legacy with a few inches shorter wheelbase, so I'm sure it will rock.

The rear suspension espescially is FAR superioir on the EJ chassis.

ok heres my solution: even with the labor involved. used spindle(incl. WB) 15 bucks. Hub $6. axle $15. yes these are JY prices, know why? cuz they are actually available at the JY.

secondly, bigger/better brakes arent a huge deal id think with a lifted offroader. Rallyx/road car? def go w lego/imp. but then why would you lift it:lol:

bla bla bla. youll know what youre doin when you do it.

(just a) .02

RV

what seems "better"

a lifted gl with a ej22 or a lifted iobs with a d/r... 4-6"

Better?

all matters what you want to do with the car,both are good options, same engine and tranny, myself I "prefer" the EA82 for serious offroad, both cars could be built to be comparable, Tire size more limited with the EJ 5 bolt, max size maybe 29" if you like the IOBS go with that, go with what you like , everyone likes something different, EA82 with a lift and engine swap is alot eiser and cheeper then the other route, again go with what "YOU" want

ok heres my solution: even with the labor involved. used spindle(incl. WB) 15 bucks. Hub $6. axle $15. yes these are JY prices, know why? cuz they are actually available at the JY.

Most of the yard here crush EA cars within a week of getting them.....and they don't get many anymore. And any they do have are full of worn out parts.

ON teh other hand, they've got Forresters, Imprezas, legacies and outbacks by the dozens.....all of which have compatible brakes, hubs, axles, struts, and wheels.

secondly, bigger/better brakes arent a huge deal id think with a lifted offroader. Rallyx/road car? def go w lego/imp. but then why would you lift it:lol:

Bigger better brakes are almost a must on a lifted rig with big tires. tiny EA drums suck at quick stops.

the EA series cars are a better starting point just because stock they are lighter and have more ground clearance the the EJ stuff.

However once you start swapping engines/transmissions all bets are off.

Just run whatever you can get a hold of easiest.If you can find a $200 imp then run it.or a $200 gl.

both cases they are still subarus.

Bigger better brakes are a must on a lifted rig with big tires.

Fixed that for you. :grin: You go more than about 5% larger in tire size you will notice it trying to stop. Smaller brakes will get hot much faster and will glaze over in no time. You'll be standing on the pedal with both feet just trying to keep it from running away down your driveway. Take it out on the road and overheat the brakes, you'll stop... when you run into something.

Ask "oooo" for a picture of his OBS. That thing is huge!

Edited by Fairtax4me