Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any advice on finding a 2.2L eng?

So.... my son's 99 Legacy quit running and siezed up. Thought it was due to low oil.... he hadn't checked it in a while and had allowed it to get 2.5 quarts low.... so we added oil, put a wrench on the crank and got it loosened up a bit. Enough to turn it over and fire.... Then bang. The broken / busted rod shot right through the top of the case, right below the alternator...... I think the rod had separated at the crank and the low oil was incidental. There was no hole in the case before we screwed around trying to 'loosen' it up...

So.... we need an engine. And... I understand it has to come from a 99 Legacy or a 99-01 Impreza, due to the number of bolts at the bell housing.

Anyone have any advice on finding one? What should I expect to pay? I posted a wanted ad here..... any other ideas? (Other than make sure it has enough oil in it next time?)

When we were deciding on whether to fix the heads or replace the engine on our 2000 Impreza,. I found a fairly low mileage at a salvager in Georgia, complete, ready to drop in for 1000 including shipping to Texas. They were very good to work with, sent picture and the vin of the car.

Gotta be careful though. Another one in El Paso was offered for 500. Supposedly it had 85k on it, but upon further investigation, the mileage was unknown as the donor car was on it's second engine.

Phase 2, 2.2engines are not so plentiful and cheap as phase 1 motors

Check car-part.com

oh yeah, when you find one, do a car-fax on the donor car if the vin is available. You might get lucky and find one that has timing belt service listed recently, or it might say the car had 300,000 miles at the last registration.

Edited by eppoh

www.car-part.com is a good source.

2000 Engine Subaru Impreza 2.2, 6 MONTH WARRANTY, ATOD, AWD price $600

Henderson Foreign Auto Parts USA-PA(Scottdale) Request_Quote 1-724-887-8700 Request_Insurance_Quote

2000 Engine Subaru Impreza L, 2.2, ATOD, AWD, price $500

Carlisle Auto & Truck Salvage,Inc USA-PA(Carlisle) Request_Quote 717-238-1500 / 717-766-0579 Request_Insurance_Quote

below is a copy of an august 19 ad on cgraigslist- roanoke, va. it probably long gone and the ad has expired but it maybe worth a phone call.

1999 subaru impreza motor/trans (martinsville) $600

from parts in roanoke, VA

1999 subaru motor and transmission 130k.....phone 276-358-2222....will not respond to email

Edited by johnceggleston

www.car-part.com is a good source.

2000 Engine Subaru Impreza 2.2, 6 MONTH WARRANTY, ATOD, AWD price $600

Henderson Foreign Auto Parts USA-PA(Scottdale) Request_Quote 1-724-887-8700 Request_Insurance_Quote

2000 Engine Subaru Impreza L, 2.2, ATOD, AWD, price $500

Carlisle Auto & Truck Salvage,Inc USA-PA(Carlisle) Request_Quote 717-238-1500 / 717-766-0579 Request_Insurance_Quote

below is a copy of an august 19 ad on cgraigslist- roanoke, va. it probably long gone and the ad has expired but it maybe worth a phone call.

1999 subaru impreza motor/trans (martinsville) $600

from parts in roanoke, VA

1999 subaru motor and transmission 130k.....phone 276-358-2222....will not respond to email

When I did a lot of Suby's I actually pretty much ran Henderson's out of 2.2 engines for a year or so.

Excellent small time operation that's been in business for years.

Not the biggest, but my local favorite.

They are my first call for all foreign parts.

Excellent folks.

Thanks for the replies, the heads up on car-part.com, and especially for the nod to Henderson.... they're fairly close to me, so I think I'll start there on Monday! Thanks also for the offer on the Forester eng... but I'm looking for something we can just drop in, ready to roll...

--Mike

crack, look another morgantown member?! i'm just outside morgantown but no leads or Phase II EJ22 stuff myself.

good luck with the swap, you can borrow my engine lift if you need one.

yeah hendersons has been good. last year they wouldn't mail me a little part because i'm "too close" 60 miles, :lol::lol: :confused: maybe it was just a guy having a bad day.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I've been really happy with the Sube Shop.... But he's also a good customer of mine... we publish a local magazine (Auto Expo)... Ernie's always treated us right!

The engine is in and the car runs better than ever. I think the old engine was already weak before the final failure..... cause it now has more power than it's had since we've owned it!

I think we may have lost a sensor... but I'll address that in a new thread. Thanks for advice on finding the engine! This forum Rocks!

--Mike