Ultimate Subaru Message Board

13" Tire Options?

25" or 27" is the overall tire DIAMETER. :)

And in this one case, I find that the American way of doing things actually makes sense.

In all other cases regarding units of measure and such...... the "Standard" system is bogus. Metric is MUCH easier to understand.

Please excuse me if this sound as a Dumb Question, but Livin' in Central America does not Help me to Understand the Meaning of 25" or 27" Tires...

I only Understand measurements like: 205/60 R 13 (The Tires on my -crashed- ER27 Wagon) you Know, when:

• 205 = Overall Width, from one Side Lip to the Another side lip (The Part that Touches the Rim)
  • 60 = Percentage of that Width Taken to make the Sidewall (Tall)
  • R 13 = Obviously: the Rim Size in inches...

So, 25" or 27" Equals to... ??? :confused:

You can go here:MIATA and plug in numbers to get a pretty good idea of what equals what.

Dan

25" or 27" is the overall tire DIAMETER. :)

And in this one case, I find that the American way of doing things actually makes sense. ...

Now I Understand... Thanks! :)

You can go here: MIATA and plug in numbers to get a pretty good idea of what equals what.

Dan

Thank you Dan, That's a Great Website! :)

13's are almost extinct anymore unless you are willing to run tires off a lawn mower trailer. I got lucky and found a set of four at an old tire dealer in Nebraska, they were twelve years old, but never seen the light of day. I had a lady drive 200 miles to get the ones I took off for free because she could'nt find any. Best of Luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going through the same mental exercise here. I stick to relatively easy sand and rock jeep trails (no mud) so I don't need an aggressive off-road tread for my purposes. The two options I've found for my standard, 13" rims are:

1. Hankook 185/80/13 tires (HT-1003477) for $48.50 plus $10.00 shipping each. I can also get them from my local tire guy for $67.00 each:

http://www.discount-tires-2go.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=182119&InfoID=4853&ShowLarge=True

2. Firestone 185/80/13 tires (FR380 90S) at $47.00 each plus $10.00 shipping:

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/firestone/185%252F80-13+firestone+fr380+90s.html

These would give 1 inch of additional ground clearance without having to swap rims. My current tires are 175/70/13 (22.6 inches) and the 185/80/13 tires would increase that to 24.7 inches. If I have some other reason to go to LA, I could even save the shipping :)

I'm toying with getting a lift kit as well, but am not thrilled with steering modifications, new brake lines, etc. for the amount I go on trails in our local desert.

-Ben

Edited by bendecker