Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ20H swapped Gen3 Brat build Continues Tear down time.

subaruguru

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

pictures of new brat power plant 1994 JDM Legacy EJ20H :banana:

DSCN4719.jpg

DSCN4720.jpg

DSCN4721.jpg

DSCN4723.jpgDSCN4724.jpg

DSCN4733.jpg

Still researching on the motor from what i am told it has been modified by a company called KOUKI the VOD is eliminated and the turbos made to run parallel not sequential. I am planning to use the auto trans and full harness becasue the brat only has the harness for the lights.

Cheers R.

Edited by subaruguru

lol well i'm not sure if i'm talented enough maybe with some help from the Turbo and wiring gurus it could be moving on its own power but we are like 3 months away it will be a challenge but this engine will take far less fabrication than the EG3.3.

Im not sure yet on bringing it or not but i can try :).

Cheers R.

Edited by subaruguru

so wait... no more 3.3? or is the ej20h for a different car?

how do you plan on fitting the twin turbo in? They are really only meant to fit in RHD... The LHD driver's side puts the second turbo smack dab in the brake master cylinder, steering, and clutch.

I've seen people remove one of the turbos and just use one...?

GL!

nope the 3.3 is out and the EJ20H is in :) I understand the issue with the second turbo the plan for now is to move it as to keep everything LHD now i understand this might mean that it will stick through the hood and i am fine with that :banana:

I'm Picking the engine up today :grin::grin::grin: i will be getting more pictures of it and start stripping the Brats for grafting and wiring work.

Due to searching the 4 corners of the internet i found enough info to use the full harness in my car :) so there is a small chance i might be driving it to the show this year and now that i have just about all the parts i will need for this swap and no current job this is my main focus and its making me :slobber:

MOAR PICS TO FOLLOW :burnout:

Cheers R.

Update ok here are some pictures... :)

DSCN4830.jpg

DSCN4831.jpg

DSCN4834.jpg

I took some measurements from my parts legacy (LHD) the BMC is closer to the engine than in an EA82 car so it clears the turbo but NOT the Vacuum Booster SOOOOO that leads me to this.

http://www.wilwood.com/Images/MasterCylinders/Master%20Cylinder%20Photos-Large/260-10371-lg.jpg

It's a remote BMC from Wilwood high-performance disk breaks it is a non booster set up the company says is designed to perform just as well as the factory BMC while giving you room in your engine bay. The turbo currently clears the reservoir but there is no room for the booster, with this setup the res. is only 2.35" wide giving me the room for the second turbo i won't have power brakes but thats not a problem and it saves on me having to relocate all the brake lines ect. still working out the steering I will post with an update for that when i decide what the solution is.

My plan to get this car done is to build it around the engine. In all my research the main suggestion is to remove the second turbo and i even though when i got it home and unwrapped it to find out its still a 2 stage not a parallel i still want it to have two turbos :) so i hope you all enjoy this build thread as much as i am going to enjoy building it.

Cheers R.

Cheers R.

Edited by subaruguru

uh thanks? lol Ok good news i got the engine in... well mostly it is in the landing pads on the cross member but not sitting all the way in to get it this far i had to um... modify the cross member so the up pipes will clear it i still have some modifying to do but its just about perfect.

The remote BMC looks like it will fit just fine (on paper) but we know how that works out we will see. I am working on a way of modifying the steering to clear the down pipe and looking at it with the engine in seems like it will be simple the input shaft on the rack clears just fine but the output for the steering column goes straight into the down pipe, more on this as it develops but i think i have it figured out.

Juicy pics straight off the digi for your delight.

DSCN4839-1.jpg

DSCN4843.jpg

DSCN4852.jpg

enjoy

Cheers R.

Thanks for the support everyone in my research anytime i come across someone wanting to do this swap they are bombed with negativity instead of ideas on how to work around the obstacles.

So on that note with a little brain storming with (bratsrus1) i think we might have figured out how to rout the steering and i will show you our idea with my mad paint skillz.

Since this car is going back to an automatic where the clutch pedal once lived is now open and where the cable came through the firewall is clear of the turbo,The rack input shaft comes out at an angle clearing under the down pipe.

So the plan is to shorten the steering column so it ends inside the firewall make a bracket to hold it in place and run a u-joint to run the steering shaft out the old clutch cable hole then another u-joint with a lengthened shaft to the rack, everything is pictured below in my perfect to scale drawing :lol:

DSCN4840.jpg

the lower steering shaft (yellow line) is going to be UNDER the turbo.

Now i might need to notch the frame if the lengthened steering shaft hits but i wont know till i try it. :rolleyes:

So thats the plan so far i really think its coming along even only being few days into it lol again thanks for the positive feedback i couldn't do a lot of this without the support of the people on this board.

Cheers R.

Edited by subaruguru

I love this project and I wish you all the luck.

The only question I have is in regards to the proximity of the BMC to the turbo. Is it going to be close enough that you're going heat up your brake fluid? (I know pretty much nothing about brake fade and blah blah, so I ask to invoke more informed members...)

I plan to wrap the down pipe with header tape and make a heat shield for it but it should be ok i won't know till i try :)

Cheers R.

I like your attitude!

Just see how it goes. If it doesn't work do something else.

worked on the G3 brat today and got the engine in all the way i danced a small jig quite like this :banana: but then it was getting dark so i had to bag it for the night and i forgot my camera :( soooo pics will need to wait till tomorrow.

Now that i have it so it fits the next step is to put the trans in and start making the steering and breaks work. then fitting in the wiring :) witch is probably going to be the easiest part :lol:

Cheers R.