Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ20H swapped Gen3 Brat build Continues Tear down time.

subaruguru

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IT LIVES!!!! I drove it today just a little because all i have is the ebrake to stop with at the moment. It has great power and torque but the acceleration kinda sucks. my 5 speed legacy is quicker from a stop. So needless to say after the show the 4eat is getting 86ed and a 5 speed in a its place.

As for the FP it is working great it should have no problem being as its off a 2.7L and this is only a 2.0 the car already ran fine with the stock 1.8 FI FP in it and i put the XT6 one in today i was amazed at the size difference nearly twice as long as the stocker.

Cheers R.

Way cool! Yeah, to hell with the auto. Its not like we can get 3500 stall converters for these abominations. Stick is way more fun.

As for the pump, displacement doesn't matter when you're pushing boost, especially when you've got two damn snails going. If you're pushing 14psi, you've doubled your air, and thusly your fuel and power. But if it runs fine, it runs fine. How much boost do you hit, anyway?

Well i am having an issue with the charging system the alt. checks out and the engine is grounded to the body and to the battery but it wont charge the battery and if the battery is unhooked when the car is running it dies instantly anyone have any ideas?

Cheers R.

With the car running, if you use a voltmeter to check voltage between the big positive wire on the alt and the alt ground, does it show anything?

What about the wiring coming in to the alt from the ignition that tells it what to put out. The exciter wire, I think it's called. If not that, then it could just be a random bad alt.

Have you tried brake-torquing the auto trans from a stop? Left foot on the brake holding it stationary, right foot flooring the gas, the torque converter should flash to the stall speed and boost should start building. Sidestep the brake and keep it floored.

Don't hold it like that for more than a couple seconds because you're dumping the full power of the engine into heating the transmission fluid.

You'd be surprised at how quick they'll launch when you do that. With a good transmission cooler, it doesn't harm the transmission at all like dumping a clutch on a manual would. You can also wire up the 4x4 lock, fwd for smokeshows or AWD for normal driving switch.

There's also people that have wired up paddle shifters for the 4eat and reprogrammed the TCU.

They also do sell high stall torque converters for the 4eat:

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/catalog/subaru-torque-converter/subaru-custom-high-stall-torque-converter--4eat-1721.html

Put a good cooler on it and have fun with the auto trans. It's stronger than the 5mt by a good bit as long as you keep it cool and full of fluid.

With the car running, if you use a voltmeter to check voltage between the big positive wire on the alt and the alt ground, does it show anything?

What about the wiring coming in to the alt from the ignition that tells it what to put out. The exciter wire, I think it's called. If not that, then it could just be a random bad alt.

I am actually thinking there might not be a keyed Hot to the alt. like you said the jumper or exciter wire is missing i will test that next time i work on it.

When i tested the alt with a VM it didn't have anything coming off it.

Cheers R.

I had the same problem with mine after I got it all swapped. I found out I was just unlucky and got a bad alternator. I replaced it with one of a parts car I had a 91 legacy EJ22 one. worked fine. just had a different plug switched it out. been charging fine ever since.

Although I do need a new starter. just so you know it is different than all the other subaru starters and a biotch to find. ha ha

I had the same problem with mine after I got it all swapped. I found out I was just unlucky and got a bad alternator. I replaced it with one of a parts car I had a 91 legacy EJ22 one. worked fine. just had a different plug switched it out. been charging fine ever since.

Although I do need a new starter. just so you know it is different than all the other subaru starters and a biotch to find. ha ha

Heh, I bet when the parts store got back your bad alternator, they sent it to the manufacturer, who had it test fine, and sent it to Rob's parts store. :D

Ok so i tried running a jumper from the Pos side of the battery to the smaller of the two wires on the plug (a black with white stripe) and nothing then the other (a larger white wire) and nothing. unplugged it and tested with the multimeter on both polls still nothing. Then the main wire on the top of the alt that goes to the battery it showed 11 volts being just the battery. think i could just have a bad alt? i tested it it autozone but i have had alt test ok before and do the same. i do have a known good early legacy alts i can swap a plug on and try it.

Cheers R.

On a side note I need to hook up the VSS of the cluster to the ECM so i stop getting cut off when driving can anyone tell me what wire it is for sure coming off the cluster? and what wire or plin on the cluster is for the tach so i can run the ECM tach wire to it. I know "hook it to the old coil wire... thats all long gone im going off the back of the cluster now.

Any help is good help :) sorry for the typos and run ons just tired.

Cheers Cherrs R. :slobber:

As long as you're sure it's the right wire. Those parts store testers are a joke. They've given me bad alternators and starters that tested fine, but when I spent half a day swapping them in and out repeatedly, still didn't work.

And vice versa, I took my pickup there once cause it seemed like the alt wasn't charging. Their tester said the alt was bad. Bought a new one and a voltage regulator, and it still didn't charge. Finally found that the stupid charge wire from teh alt to the pos terminal was loose. Bastard had tested the alternator AT THE POSITIVE BATTERY TERMINAL. At least it was an old Dodge with a cheap alternator.

UPDATE!!!! Big thanks to subardave for tips on the charging system got that fixed this morning stupid simple fix. Then spent all day working on making the brakes work finaly got them all hooked up and bled so now it not only goes but stops too! :) this is one happy camper. Tomorrow i hook up the VSS to the ECM and put the cluster back in the dash then remove carpet because of this issue...

IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

Long story short was test driving checking stuff in the cab when suddenly a wild gate appeared i could not stop fast enough so instead of destroying the front of the car i oped for the ditch the car got a little wet but she is safe and sound :) let the burning commence:rolleyes:.

Cheers R

Thanks guys. The car will be at the show but i warn you it is not pretty... well it is to me but it's mine. I think i am going to call this project scrap brat because everything on this car is from another car with the exception of the BMC i got that new but everything else is used from other cars.

Cheers and thanks for the support.

Cheers R.

Ok heading out to work on the brat for (crosses fingers) the last time before the show :) then its all systems go for testing it out for the next few days.

Final list

Mount bumper

swap out bad rear drive line

hook up VSS/ almost

Cheers Yall R.

Edited by subaruguru

Well i am happy to say that we made it there and back the brats 304 mile maiden voyage was great fun. The brat was a big hit and this years WCSS was amazing as always tons of cool people and cars cant wait till next year.

Now the tear down begins to do some harness stripping, build the trans (going 5 speed) then start working on the T tops and bed :)

Cheers R.