Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Couple of Random Questions

Jibs

Just had a few random questions -

1) I swapped in a 5speed d/r into the hatch and now it seems to be leaking trans fluid from somewhere near the back, possibly where the driveline enters the trans. I think there's a seal there, but is it hard to replace? I don't have access to a later FSM, so was wondering.

2) I also need to replace the disty in the said hatch and have pulled one from a similar year wagon. Both are 4wd and it seems when I ordered a disty cap, they said the difference between the nippon denso and hitachi disty's were in the 2wd/4wd configurations. Yes? No?

Thats it for now. Thanks.

2) I also need to replace the disty in the said hatch and have pulled one from a similar year wagon. Both are 4wd and it seems when I ordered a disty cap, they said the difference between the nippon denso and hitachi disty's were in the 2wd/4wd configurations. Yes? No?

Thats it for now. Thanks.

yeah, im pretty sure the 4wd had the hitachi and the 2wd had the nippon denso.

On EA81's the 4WD's were Hitachi in stock form. That does NOT apply to EA82's. It's also only a loose rule of thumb because many have been swapped, replaced, changed or the whole engine swapped out, etc. There's mix/match stuff all over the place on cars this old so it's not a hard and fast rule. For parts ordering purposes you will find the 4WD's should have Hitachi's listed while the 2WD's have ND's.

GD

Cool thanks. One more question:

what has been done when swapping to a 5speed as far as the clutch cable goes? Mine is as loose as it can be, but there's still not enough play to quite release the TO bearing. Does an ea82 cable work under the ea dash? thanks.

You just need a new cable it sounds like. You have to use the cable that matches the pedal assembly - EA82 cables will not work but that's ok because the EA81 cables work great with the 5 speed D/R. I have use them on all the swaps I've done without any issues. A new cable is like $20 at the dealer - don't get an aftermarket clutch cable as they are junk.

Make SURE you verify which cable you need - 80 to 83.5 uses one style, 83.5 to 89 (EA81's) use another style. The difference is at the pedal end and how the cable affixes to the pedal assembly.

GD

The cable thats in there is new, but it IS aftermarket, from kragen I think. I will go and get one at the dealer then and try that. Thanks a lot.

Sometimes you have to add a spacer of sorts to take up the slack. I have used everything from a piece of tubing to a lug nut. (You get the idea)