Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81 NGK Spark Plug Wire #

I recently purchased a NGK spark plug wire set for my EA-81 and the coil wire is too short. I ordered it for the GL which is what I thought my car was. Does anyone have the correct number. It is an 1984 and the registration says GL but it could be wrong I guess. How could I go about verifying this? Thanks

Yep, agreed on this. I also always order engine stuff for ANY EA81 by selecting 1984 BRAT. It eliminates having to deal with any VIN options.

When you order parts for an EA81 sometimes is pays to look up the part number for the 84 year model. Lots of places confuse the GL (Loyale) parts for EA81 parts starting in 85.

Here is the 8002 set on my '83 Hatch:

pcv1.jpg

Since the distributor and coil location on the EA81's never changes between models, I'm guessing they are selling you guys an EA82 set - EA82's have the coil on the driver's side strut tower and the distributor on the back of the driver's side cam tower - very close together which results in about a 10" coil wire but similar length plug wires since you have two short for the driver's side and two long for the passenger side. NGK wires are numbered so if you find you have to use the 2/4 wires on the 1/3 cylinders then you have an EA82 set.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder