Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about rust in wierd places

I'm looking at a 98 Leg Sedan LS, 2.2L, AWD with 95k miles on it. Price is $4k. Exterior is very clean with only 2 small bubbles in the usual place behind the rear tire. Underside is clean and looks undercoated.

BUT.... open the hood. Every bolt head and metal bracket is covered with rust. Likewise the supports for the radiator. Look at the interior, and it's clean, but the seat support on the floor is rusty. The floor itself, solid. How do bolt heads and seat brackets get rusty, but the body is nearly flawless?

My daughter's 95 sedan, also low mileage, has the same issue. Brackets and bolt heads all over the car are rusty, but the body is nice.

What gives?

i'm sorry i can't help with your question. and my criteria for buying a car are different than yours, no doubt. but i would not buy a car with ''bubbles in the usual places'' and certainly not for $4k. there is no chance the rust is going to go away. i would buy a car needing parts or engine or trans that i can bolt in as opposed to a car with rust.

but you need what you need and you only have so many to pick from. i understand that. buying rust just seems so short sighted. unless of course you know something about the driver that i do not.

let me know if you are interested in a 97 GT auto wagon with a 96 2.2L swap in VA. ~152k on the car and a little less on the engine. new t-belt and seals all around. i've driven it ~10k since the swap. clear coat is peeling, ''uh-oh, better call macco''. and a hard 1 - 2 shift. leather seats, firestone m&s tires w/ excelent tread.

Edited by johnceggleston

Is morgantown on the east coast somewhere? I've seen cars from the east coast, of the age you're looking at, show similar rust... I think it's pinholes in the paint that let the rust bubbles start, but not really sure. Its from the salt... I personally wouldn't buy a car that new with any rust unless it was a dirt cheap beater for just a few years use (I shoot for rust free even with 80's cars, and 70's if I can, but I generally shop in the pacific northwest or arizona/newmexico for older cars.... definitely avoid east of the mississippi like the plague, when dealing with older cars.

Z

I'm looking at a 98 Leg Sedan LS, 2.2L, AWD with 95k miles on it. Price is $4k. Exterior is very clean with only 2 small bubbles in the usual place behind the rear tire. Underside is clean and looks undercoated.

BUT.... open the hood. Every bolt head and metal bracket is covered with rust. Likewise the supports for the radiator. Look at the interior, and it's clean, but the seat support on the floor is rusty. The floor itself, solid. How do bolt heads and seat brackets get rusty, but the body is nearly flawless?

My daughter's 95 sedan, also low mileage, has the same issue. Brackets and bolt heads all over the car are rusty, but the body is nice.

What gives?

They are steel. They get wet and are protected from drying off by being under the hood. They are exposed to moisture too. It is sort of normal actually.

I wish we had a nice selection of rust free cars here... but in the under $5k price range, in northern WV, anyway, forget it. (One particular Forester excepted...) If I were looking at 03's or 04's and had 6 or 7 grand to spend, yeah. But Subies are in high demand here. The 'usual' rust spot is right behind each rear wheel, and it's very rare to see a mid 90's model here that doesn't have rust or a repaired area there.

Another trouble spot seems to be in the rear door jam, at the rear of the door....

You can stay ahead of rust but you'll likely have to redo the repairs every other year or so. As far as the stuff under the hood and in wierd places.... I only ask because my other old cars ... 97 TownCar and 92 LeSabre show no similar signs.

Kind of hard not to buy east of the Missippi... Ususally end up needing something fast and have no time to shop the country and plan getting it back here. Thanks for the offer on the GT... wife can't stand leather seats....

-Mike

Both my 98 and 99 are free of body rust, but brackets, screws, etc under the hood have some surface rust. I live in Indiana, so I assume it is salt spray or mist kicked up by the front tires to everything under the hood that starts things to rusting. I also think these under hood metal items are not treated to resist rusting. Since, the under hood rusting is only surface rust, I don't care. I have never had a bolt or screw resist removal, so I don't see this as a problem.

my 03 Baja has no body rust at all, but has underhood rust stuff.

I plan to wire wheel it and clear coat the stuff when cleaned.

Its for sale too, but i need to detail like i said first.'

its a indication of moisture, could even be flooded vehicle. title checks are for sure needed.

my 03 Baja has no body rust at all, but has underhood rust stuff.

I plan to wire wheel it and clear coat the stuff when cleaned.

Its for sale too, but i need to detail like i said first.'

its a indication of moisture, could even be flooded vehicle. title checks are for sure needed.

Good thought about possibly being a flood vehicle. Title check and carfax could prove valuable.