Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering wheel change?

Little history... Ive been driving a Metro after losing my first Subaru.

Now onto another one, a 1986 Subaru GL sedan.

White exterior

EA82 (non turbo)

Great options, power windows, power steering, etc.

One feature I dont like.. The steering wheel.

I just feel like it has no support on the top, I push on it when I adjust myself in the seat, and it moves, TELL me I can change this...

Is it just a simple unscrew? What other steering wheels can I get? Legacy? Loyale? jsut something better than what it is.

You will only be able to swap on another EA82 style wheel, as the Legacy or impreza have a larger or smaller shaft to bolt it to from what I remember.

So you could use a Loyale wheel if you like it better. I know what you mean about the skinny GL style ones. But then again, look at the XT6 steering wheels LOL!

You'll need a steering wheel puller to get the ea82 wheel off. It's stuck on there something wicked!!

I have this in my car, still looking for the button... But it's OE to some subaru or other! (I really have no idea what suby though, I got it for free!!)

wheel.jpg

I've Helped a Guy Long Years Ago, to install an Aftermarket Steerin' Wheel, 'cos the one on his Subie was Bented on a Small Crash he had (and it got Ugly when he Tried to correct that). That was the Steerin' wheel that only have Two Support Points Going Down (Early GL's)

So, I only Took out the Stock Steerin' Wheel with a Puller and he went to Search for an Aftermarket one with it, in order to Get the Same Bolt Measurement.

There are Many Aftermarket Steerin' Wheels with Many Bolt Sizes to Fit .

So I Kindly Suggest you to Remove your Subie's Steerin' Wheel and Search for the Same Measurement to Fit = Forget about Adapters.

Kind Regards.

Check out the links below. I did a LOT of research before I swapped wheels. My understanding is that EA81 and Impreza wheels don't work, due to some differences in the splines.

Your best bet is to find a hub adapter from Momo, Grant, or SAAS. I think Momo and Grant have discontinued theirs. SAAS is in Australia, but they're adapters are still available. Last time I checked they were ~$80 shipped.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108282

http://www.accessoriesonline.com.au/shop/product.php?productid=16661

Check out the links below. I did a LOT of research before I swapped wheels. My understanding is that EA81 and Impreza wheels don't work, due to some differences in the splines.

Your best bet is to find a hub adapter from Momo, Grant, or SAAS. I think Momo and Grant have discontinued theirs. SAAS is in Australia, but they're adapters are still available. Last time I checked they were ~$80 shipped.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108282

http://www.accessoriesonline.com.au/shop/product.php?productid=16661

Hi, thank you for the link(s) the aus guys at least show something that is supposed to fit. i know the ea-81 and impreza or any of the later suby wheels don't fit the ea-82's. i have been trying to ask if any of the nissan models about that same era will fit. so far i cannot even find one of those locally to look at so i don't want to order one just to see, about $40 and up online . it's not just the spline count , its that pesky taper that is the real issue , if it just had a shoulder to tighten against it would be ok with just a spline match.

the adapter has to have that taper to tighten on the ea-82 upper steering shaft , and a spline match.

did you order one from ausi land to do the one in your pics ? nice setup BTW !

Edited by ruparts

i ran into a 86 dl sedan that had a steering wheel (stock) that i hadnt seen before, kinda like a loyale's but it wasnt completely covered in vinyl. it had the horn buttons on the metal "spokes" if you catch my drift.

RV

I'm trying to picture that, Anyone have a picture of it? Sounds cool!

BOSS is also another AU brand adaptor, trying to find one is a little difficult, but is another option.

-Tom

Hi, thank you for the link(s) the aus guys at least show something that is supposed to fit. i know the ea-81 and impreza or any of the later suby wheels don't fit the ea-82's. i have been trying to ask if any of the nissan models about that same era will fit. so far i cannot even find one of those locally to look at so i don't want to order one just to see, about $40 and up online . it's not just the spline count , its that pesky taper that is the real issue , if it just had a shoulder to tighten against it would be ok with just a spline match.

the adapter has to have that taper to tighten on the ea-82 upper steering shaft , and a spline match.

did you order one from ausi land to do the one in your pics ? nice setup BTW !

It wouldn't surprise me if a Nissan part fit - just find the right part is the tricky thing. :-\ I have a Momo adapter hub. The part number is 7303, but it's almost impossible to find - I got lucky when I found mine.

Your other option is:

~Buy just about any adapter hub.

~Cut out the part of the adapter that has the splines.

~On the OEM steering wheel, cut out the part that fits over the splines.

~Weld cut-out from OEM steering wheel to adapter hub.