Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Use any ATF labeled Dextron 3 in my opinion. It is now sort of an industry quality standard, instead of a brand name product originally for GM cars. I don't think that any brand is better then another. I use the store brand product from Walmart with no problems in both my 98 and 99 OBWs for many years now. IMO, it is pretty much generic stuff. The synthetic ATF may better, but I don't know that I have ever read anything as to why.

owners manual is helpful with stuff like this, it just takes standard ATF available at a zillion stores across the country.

as to being clear, that's really odd. i've seen some times where ATF just has a different color and doesn't really show up well on the dipstick, it may even appear clear-ish - but it's not when you actually see it/drain it. i would guess that's what is happening here.

you might be checking the front diff, not the ATF level.

The ATF dipstick is over on the driver left side, hidden away by the heater hoses and starter.

The gear oil is over on the right side and a lot easier to find the dipstick.

What side did you pull the dipstick from?

oh boy.

The front diff drain plug is also a 21mm head or so, and it goes into an aluminum casting. The transmission drain plug is a 17mm head and it threads into a sheet metal pan.

Front diff fill plug/ dipstick is yellow, and mounted down on the transmission on the passenger side of the car. The dipstick is about 10" long and is a solid rod with the end squished flat.

The transmission dipstick is on the drivers side, red plastic, and is under the heater hoses by the starter motor. This dipstick is about 18" long and is a flexible flat ribbon blade.

Make sure the right fluids go in the right places. Many a subaru automatic has been ruined by people draining the transmission and filling the diff, or draining the diff and filling the transmission. Transmission takes ATF Dextron/Mercon III, front diff takes 80/90 hypoid gear oil.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

OK, so If I am going to drain and refill a 4EAT in a '03 Legacy GT sedan with 95k.  Any quality Dextron III product will work.  I am going to replace with Castrol Full-synthetic multi-import ATF.  Also replacing the spin on automatic transmission fluid filter.  Dealer wanted $38 for it got a WIX version for $8!

OK, so If I am going to drain and refill a 4EAT in a '03 Legacy GT sedan with 95k.  Any quality Dextron III product will work.  I am going to replace with Castrol Full-synthetic multi-import ATF.  Also replacing the spin on automatic transmission fluid filter.  Dealer wanted $38 for it got a WIX version for $8!

When you drain and fill, you are only able to drain and refill half of the ATF in the tranny. The other half is in the torque converter, and won't drain out. Your '03 has gone 95K miles on ordinary ATF, so switching now to synthetic is not necessary or that desirable.

I drain and fill 3 times with short drives between ATF changes, using Walmart brand ATF with no problems. To me ATF is a generic product. I have never heard of anyone ever having trouble cause by any brand of ATF. It is only when the ATF is not changed after 100K+ miles that it gets old and burnt to cause difficulties.

Synthetic is a bit overboard IMO.

Just make sure you use a fluid that meets Dexron III spec and you should be fine. I use the Walmart Supertech brand because its the same stuff as at the parts store for about 1/3 less price.

Edited by Fairtax4me