Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator change in 1992 Loyale

Has anyone done a radiator on a 92 loyale? From the looks of it, I'm thinking I will run into space issues when trying to remove it. Should it slide right out when I take the mounting bolts out? It looks like the 2 fan shrouds will block the removal of the radiator. Any tips?

Thanks

You have to remove the fans if I remember right. Unbolt them, and disconnect them electronically. Then you disconnect the hoses and lift it straight up and out...

If I remember right, an EA82 radiator only has two bolts on top for mounting the radiator but each fan has 4 bolts, two upper, two lower.

Hope this helps

doesn't get much easier than radiators on a subaru.

clutch fan style - remove clutch fan, remove hoses as necessary and remove radiator.

twin electric fan styles - remove fans - disconnect plug and remove 4 bolts, takes like 2 minutes.

remove necessary hoses and two bolts up top, disconnect temp sensor usually in the lower passengers side corner and out it comes. sometimes, depending on the vehicle you can leave hoses or fans (electric) in place but it's so tight it's usually just as simple to pull them off first. particularly your first time.

a few bolts and hoses, really simple.

What Mechanical fan on the water pump? Was there one of those on Ned?

No because it doesn't have AC. But an EA82 with "2" fans (AC equipped model) as he indicated it has would have an electric on the passenger side and a mechanical clutch fan on the driver's side. That's how they were built. EA81's (previous gen) and EJ's (next gen) both have dual electric fans (except EA81T's) and thus the EA82 is the odd-ball with respect to cooling fan layout.

GD

It's not bad on a Loyale.

Unplug the electric fan on the passenger side (2 plugs, fan and temp sensor IIRC), leave the fan and shroud assembly bolted to the radiator.

On the driver side, unbolt the four bolts holding the shroud, and remove it.

Then take out the four nuts holding on the clutch fan. This part is somewhat of a pain. Remove the fan.

Drain the radiator, unhook radiator hoses.

Take out two bolts in front of the radiator, and carefully life it out.

You may have to work it around a bit, but it will clear (barely) between the engine and front of the engine compartment.

Good luck!

Leave the lower hose connected to the radiator and disconnected from the water pump, and leave the upper hose attached to the thermostat and disconnect it from the radiator.

When you install the replacement radiator, mount the lower hose to the radiator before installing it.

The upper and lower hoses could be the same part number for both

Well, after work I finally replaced the damn thing. It was fairly simple. My biggest problem was the small confines, I'm a pretty big guy at 6'5. Another problem was the radiator hoses that I bought at auto zone were different lengths than the original ones, so I had to do some cutting. Whoever invented those factory hose clamps deserves to be shot, not your typical hose clamp to say the least. Anyways, here's how it went for reference:

1. Removed 4 bolts from passenger side fan (2 top, 2 bottom) and disconnected electric plug. Fan and shroud assembly lifted right up and set on top of the engine.

2. Removed fan shroud (what was left of it) from driver side. A good chunk of the bottom side had rusted away, so once unmounted, slid right over the fan.

3. Disconnected ALL hoses. 1 main radiator hose on each side, 2 smaller cooler lines on driver side and overflow hose by the fill cap. Also, disconnect temp sensor on pass. side of radiator. (I think that's what that sensor was)

4. Removed two mounting bolts on top of the radiator.

5. Tilted forward slightly and slid right up.

Repeat backwards to install.

Did not have to remove the main fan, was planning on doing the water pump.

while I was at it, but didnt feel like it when the time came. Also replaced the thermostat.

In all, took about 2 hours of actual work. No more leaks, and its running real cool now. And my heat is kicking as a bonus. Hit 100 thousand miles on monday, hopefully will get 100 thousand more out of it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Breno

Well, after work I finally replaced the damn thing. It was fairly simple. My biggest problem was the small confines, I'm a pretty big guy at 6'5. Another problem was the radiator hoses that I bought at auto zone were different lengths than the original ones, so I had to do some cutting. Whoever invented those factory hose clamps deserves to be shot, not your typical hose clamp to say the least. Anyways, here's how it went for reference:

1. Removed 4 bolts from passenger side fan (2 top, 2 bottom) and disconnected electric plug. Fan and shroud assembly lifted right up and set on top of the engine.

2. Removed fan shroud (what was left of it) from driver side. A good chunk of the bottom side had rusted away, so once unmounted, slid right over the fan.

3. Disconnected ALL hoses. 1 main radiator hose on each side, 2 smaller cooler lines on driver side and overflow hose by the fill cap. Also, disconnect temp sensor on pass. side of radiator. (I think that's what that sensor was)

4. Removed two mounting bolts on top of the radiator.

5. Tilted forward slightly and slid right up.

Repeat backwards to install.

Did not have to remove the main fan, was planning on doing the water pump.

while I was at it, but didnt feel like it when the time came. Also replaced the thermostat.

In all, took about 2 hours of actual work. No more leaks, and its running real cool now. And my heat is kicking as a bonus. Hit 100 thousand miles on monday, hopefully will get 100 thousand more out of it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Breno

Glad it went well, and cooling and heat are working as they should. :)

One thing that I have learned from Rick...

Buy the parts like hoses and seals and gaskets from Subaru. The hoses from Subaru are pre-bent and therefore dont kink when they are installed.

So please excuse my ignorance, but do most of you folks get parts "from Subaru" from the dealership, or is there a way to get factory parts online or direct?

I'm just an old school cheapskate from way back I guess. I don't buy new vehicles, and I buy my auto parts from the local NAPA and Fisher, so I guess I have not much cause to visit dealerships.

Thanks.

One thing that I have learned from Rick...

Buy the parts like hoses and seals and gaskets from Subaru. The hoses from Subaru are pre-bent and therefore dont kink when they are installed.

The hoses from autozone were pre-bent as well, they just happened to be a tad bit longer, and had slightly different curves, therefore kinking when I installed them. I did notice on their website that they have these things called "FLEX" hoses? It looks like you can bend it any type of way and it wont kink, its made by Dayco and the Autozone part number is 81031 if you want to check it out. Either way, I still need an oil fill cap.....

So please excuse my ignorance, but do most of you folks get parts "from Subaru" from the dealership, or is there a way to get factory parts online or direct?

I'm just an old school cheapskate from way back I guess. I don't buy new vehicles, and I buy my auto parts from the local NAPA and Fisher, so I guess I have not much cause to visit dealerships.

Thanks.

My choices on the coast are real limited. Carquest has become my supplier of choice. They own a company called World Pac, and I use it pretty extensively ( you have to ask for world pac ) Most of the items are oem manufactured( they can tell you if oem or not) the prices are good and always next day delivery. I do buy some parts from Subaru time allowing, but I dont have a dealer within 100 miles of me.