Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starting problems, bad ignition switch?

ok, here it is.

'86 GL HB, EA81 1.8L non-turbo, DRMT/AC,

It doesnt matter what the outside temp is, hot engine or cold, but I turn the key the run position and all the dash lights come on, continue to the start position and nothing, turn off and back on a few times and it may fire or not, come back five minutes later and it'll fire right off. OR I can turn the key one time and it fires right up, whats going on here?

I suspect the ignition switch is going bad. Am I on the right track?

I dont beleive there is a neutral safety switch, as it will turn over even if in gear.

I thought it might be a bad battery, but if it was, Would it not have fired up at -01F overnight?

I had the battery and stock alternator checked and nothing wrong with them.

output @ 1000rpm, 13V/45A. I am considering the Alt upgrade as GD did.

If it is a switch going bad, those are hard to find a matching ignition switch.

I am thinking about installing a remote starter switch?, if so, where do I start, which wires would I need to reroute?

thanks

Ken in 68113

I Don't Believe the Switch is Bad if you Don't Feel it Loose and the Car Behaviour is "Sometimes Start, Sometimes Won't".

Ken: That Fail could be Caused by a Worn Starter...

The Starter Motor has Carbon Contacts that get worn by Years of Use, I Believe that Maybe your Engine's Starter just Needs Maintenance.

Also Bad Grounding or Loose Cables could Cause that issue too.

I Kindly Suggest to Start Checkin' those Cables (The ones that goes to the Starter Motor) first.

Check this Link: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/engine-starter-repair-how-to-fix-the-carbon-contacts

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

As Loyale said, check your cables, grounds, etc.

Ignition switch is the same for ea82 cars all the way till at least 2nd gen Legacys, maybe later. But That's the range I've swapped between. Probably isn't that though.

When you turn the key to start, and it doesn't start. What does happen? Do you hear a loud CLICK from the starter motor?

If that's the case, it's probably worn starter contacts. Pretty easy to fix, there's a guide on here somewhere.

If that doesn't solve the problem it's because the solenoid is getting low voltage. Just old wiring. I've seen a few threads on this issue, and have it myself in my GL. Solution is to add a relay to give the solenoid battery voltage when you turn the key. Also documented on here.

About the starter, its new, a month old. the original died 3 months after I got the car, the replacement fried itself after 4 months...

when I turn the key, there is a "click" noise from the dash, but nothing under the hood until IT wants to engage.

You mentioned relay, Does it have a starter relay hidden somewhere I haven't found, is it possible its faulty?

I'll check out the battery cables, replace if necessary and maybe go with a segment of HD jumper cables I got laying about.(the clamps gone bad, but the wire is good. cheap fix)

Good thing is, the starter is right on top so hot wiring the solenoid to start should be easy. e-brake on, out of gear, ignition on, and a set of jumper cables..

good thing I live and park on a hill. Been popping the clutch lately if im running late for work...

thanks.

As Loyale said, check your cables, grounds, etc.

Ignition switch is the same for ea82 cars all the way till at least 2nd gen Legacys, maybe later. But That's the range I've swapped between. Probably isn't that though.

When you turn the key to start, and it doesn't start. What does happen? Do you hear a loud CLICK from the starter motor?

If that's the case, it's probably worn starter contacts. Pretty easy to fix, there's a guide on here somewhere.

If that doesn't solve the problem it's because the solenoid is getting low voltage. Just old wiring. I've seen a few threads on this issue, and have it myself in my GL. Solution is to add a relay to give the solenoid battery voltage when you turn the key. Also documented on here.

Now it doesnt turn over at all no matter how many times I turn the key...

With the key in the ON position, and jumping the POS to the solenoid, should initiate the starter and turn the engine over. Unless I can find and repair the fault.

has anyone done this sort of bypass before? results? cautions? safety issues?

At least I dont have to do this in the morning, I can roll and bump start it. its after work I have to worry about and have been lucky the past few days...

There may be safety switch on the clutch pedal causing the trouble. There is a small wire going to the starter solenoid mounted on the starter. If you can apply 12 volts to that lead and the starter works ok then the trouble is with the safety switch or the ignition switch wiring.

my 82 wagon did this today. I drove it this morning... came home parked it in the warm garage. went out a little bit ago, and nothing. just the same as yours is doing....

--Either I wait until it warms up a bit more or go to the auto hobby shop to do a more through circuit trace to find the fault.

--Initial find, reaching under the dash, I found a a small round relay? with a rectangular plug under the dash, it gives and audible click and I can feel it click when I put a finger on it and turn the key. This maybe the faulty item, however getting it out is going to be a small challange.

-- As for now, I bypassed the whole ignition circuit, and run a piece of extention cord wire from the battery to the solenoid when I need to.

--I think I am going to install a remote button inside for convenience. too cold out right now.

K