Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Biggest tires i can run on my stock 96' legacy?

DanteC

Im wondering what the biggest tires i can run on my stock-geared 96' legacy. Its got an ej22, manual 5 spd. Im cutting the fenders, i lifted it 2", and am planning on wheel spacers. i already bought 15" rims and i was planning on running some 235/75/r15's, or some 31x10.5 a/t's i have from my truck. But im not sure if i'll have any torque left. Anyone have experience?

besides a D/R swap, is there anything i can do? do other subies have lower geared diff's i can swap in?

front diff is part of the trans i'm sure you know so a simple diff swap isn't really an option....i mean you can swap front diffs but that's a rather huge job that no one has ever really done just to change gearing. simpler to just swap a trans you want.

it'll take a hit but not sure what would bother you, if it at all. you looking for offroad or onroad performance? around town driving, racing, or interstate driving?

my buddy lifted his 97 EJ22 MT legacy with OBW struts and put larger wheels & tires and i believe he said he now has to down shift to 4th some for climbing mountains on the interstate that he never had to do before all that. so it looses a little - but that's at highway speeds too with greater aspect ratio due to the lift.

235s will require a bit of trimming in the rear to clear the wheel wells. I'm lifting my 98 Outback a little over 4 inches overall and am only going 225s. You will be loosing a lot of low end torque with the larger tires too. I'd say go with a good set of 215s/ 27s and Outback struts as well as your lift and go to town. A Delta cam would help with the low-end torque return as well as a better exhaust.

Edited by newsoobdude

Does that Tires Rub? ... I'll Love to See Pictures... Could you Post any?

Dont get me wrong i had to cut the front and back edge of the fenders with a lil bit of hammering. U cant just slap on a 235 and do nothing else.

i hope this goes to the pics. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118642

The tires are baldining tires as pointed out. Remember that there is no lift on this car. wouldnt be a good idea to put good tires on it...

Thank you for your Kind Answer... My EA82 Weberized Wagon now Runs with 205/60 R 15 (25") without Rubbing, I made Somehow a Custom 2" Lift just by Swapping the Suspension, as you can Read here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=110546

Your Subie does Look Good with those Chrome Rims... My other Wagon (the ER27 engined one, now Crashed as you can Read here) has a Set of Chrome Rims too...

Kind Regards.

i put 235's on my 91 loyale with no lift(as of yet) and the power and torque both fine. still drives the same all the way around

Loyale (ea82) and legacy are 2 different animals, the lagacy strut will be your limiting factor, get a set of OUTBACK struts which will allow 27-28" tire, non-OUTBACK will not allow for much bigger then stock,

Loyale (ea82) and legacy are 2 different animals, the lagacy strut will be your limiting factor, get a set of OUTBACK struts which will allow 27-28" tire, non-OUTBACK will not allow for much bigger then stock,

I noticed that, i was planning on wheel spacers.