Ultimate Subaru Message Board

any write ups w/pics on heater core swap

Something I have done tha has worked very well is to take some powdered dishwasher detergent and dissolve it in vey hot water. Take both heater hoses off the core and get as much of the coolant out of the core as possible. Point the heater hoses up and fill the core sithe the very hot detergent solution. Let it sit over night and then flush the core out in the morning. The detergent is a chemical flush that works very well to dissolve any deposits that may be clogging the core. You may have to to this twice, but when I did it I went from absolutely no heat to screamin hot in tow treatments. It is worth a try.

Mike

If it's just not blowing heat - I've always just removed both hoses to the heater core and put a garden hose right up to one side to blow it out, bunch of brownish nastiness comes out and the heat works after that.

Cool to see the few options there are rather than the traditional yank the dash.

good luck nothing easy on this. use micks shortcut is wise. parts car backup will be nice if needed.

i ran a prestone brand heater core deep cleaner (they had 2 versions, a quick clean and a deep clean) thru mine and ran it in the car for a week lol longer than they posted to. I have had heat ever since. i did it before temps got to the + 35 mark at night.......cause you mix the chemical with water......dont want water in the block when its -15 temp

good luck and report back k

Edited by bheinen74

If it is very cold and you have to do the work outside, make a heavy solution of the detergent and let it sit until the solution gets cold. That should be about an hour and rinse it out. Do it again once or twice and you should have heat again. I wouldn't let it sit over night if it is balow freezing or you may damage the core.