Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can I run a msd 6AL

I was curious if anyone has run or is running a 6al msd ignition box on their GL. I ran a blaster coil before but it kept wrecking my distributor,?? Im not sure if the gls run a 12 to 18 volt system,. I know they work on vw bugs, I dont see why they wont work on subaru , I was also planning on running the nissan 90 amp alternator as well.. if that makes a diffence. thanks for advise

Oh you have a fuel injected. The box will still work on a carbed engine right. I have a ea81. And about the distrubutor popping I'm not sure why. But the accell coil didn't do it only the blaster two. Strange. Could be I just had bad distys e

Mic brat is also running one of the MSD6's on his car. Not sure which one.

I'm running a 6A on a weberized ea81, along with an Accel SuperCoil (square block kind).

I really noticed a difference when I did mine...

been running it for years now....

Thank you for your Kind answer... That's New Stuff for me.

I Run my EA82 Weberized Wagon with an Accel (Made in USA) SuperStock 8140 High Vibration Coil, that Surpasses the Stock Coil's Output... I've been Runnin' it since some years ago and it works Great, but that MSD Stuff sounds even more Accurate.

Kind Regards.

i have an msd 6a in my 93 prelude project car. i really love it. cold starts are easier and the entire powerband is smooth.

if i come across another msd box im gonna be throwing it in my soob. just not wanting to pay 100 for another :-\

although, ive heard the msd ignition boxes do not work with accel for some reason... wonder why?

although, ive heard the msd ignition boxes do not work with accel for some reason... wonder why?

probably something to do with the coils resistance....i know the Delphi dual curve ignitions that used to be common here on dual fuel LPG/petrol conversions where quite sensitive to trying to drive a coil with a resistance that was different to what they where designed to operate with

• 1 year later...

just put it inline on the coil wires... one connects to coil neg and the other to coil positive. i think the coil negative might be the signal?? not 100%, but if you hook it up backwards nothing will go bad.

also, obviously, disconnect the stock wires from the stock coil and then put the orange and black wires from the MSD box that are for the coil, on the coil. the red and white wires will be connected to the stock coil wires.

... And about the distrubutor popping I'm not sure why. But the accell coil didn't do it only the blaster two. Strange. Could be I just had bad distys e

As far as I Know, the Accel SuperStock ignition Coil has almost the Same Resistance (Ω) Values than the Stock Nippon Denso Ignition Coil (I guess that also the Hitachi Ignition coils has around the Same Values too), while the MSD Blaster has increased resistance values, which damages the Ignition Module on the Distribuitor.

Kind Regards.