Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought it!!! I bought it!!! I bought it!!!

Dash is 100% functional.

But from what I hear it is pretty unreliable, mainly due to the crappy oem alternators. The standard dashes are much more forgiving to voltage spikes.

I have plans to to the Maxima alternator swap, in hopes of keeping the dash 100% :headbang:

I have seen the door panel sticker, but never the one from the windsheild.

I have at least 2 maybe 3 of those distributor cover's in my shed. Not that rare - probably one out of 10 of the EA81's I see has one still.

Personally I would swap the seats for EA82 (early '90s Loyale's are usually a good bet) because they don't have the vinyl. They are 100% fabric. Does require a bit of modification to fit the EA81 rails to the EA82 seats but it's not that bad and you can find something that will match pretty well most likely. Though it might be hard with that tan - come to think of it I haven't seen an EA82 tan interior that I can remember.

GD

I'd like to keep it as original as possible and I'd rather not have to swap all my seats out because the back seat has vinyl on it too.

This is honestly the only tan interior I have ever liked. Most of them just look gross to me but this has that mid 80s class that modern cars lack.

If you are going to look for more comfortable and supportive seats a set of Flofit (think recaros) bolt in without modification (minus the deletion of the spring forward gizmo on the passenger seat). Search flofit on here for a post i made with pics.

Beautiful car btw. Love the color :banana:

I will have to look into the flofit seats I would be open to that.

I have a pretty good feeling that it was garage kept because it had a pretty thick layer of dust on the roof when I went to check it out.

I also think it was parked in the shade all day when it was taken out.

I think I will have the windows tinted because my work does not have a single bit of shade in the parking lot and I worry that this summer may start the fade process.

Cool deal Brian. Looks like you scored a clean one.

I picked up a super clean '84 GL a few months ago from a guy just west of Spokane.

We should get these two rides together in the spring for some photos :cool:

http://www.bonnefinstudios.com/kwb/automotive/RU10.jpg

Steptoe Butte maybe? :headbang:

Dont forget me, got an 86 Brat and happen to live just north of there. did u happen to buy ur '84 GL in cheney?

very nice... and the dist. cover.. that is the 2nd one I have ever seen installed.

The spare tire is the original spare. Find a full size rim with good tire and replace. The full size fits into my 84's and can only assume a full size spare would fit under newer Hatch's too.

The baby in back must come on later models as I havn't seen that in any of my 84 roo's...

Edited by Indrid cold

Tonight we were going to the get some supplies to prepare us for bringing home our puppy. We took my wifes kia because the box for the crate would not fit in the hatch back. My son was so dissapointed that we did not take the Subaru that he started screaming and crying...and pointing at my car while we were driving away.

I miss my 84 Hatch every single day. It was shiny maroon as well but only a 2WD. I've got an STi now and still long for the GL's amazing character.

Get you a good set of rubber floor mats for these winter months. I got them in everything I own.

Edited by Durania

The baby in back must come on later models as I havn't seen that in any of my 84 roo's...

Yeah must be for the later models. I had a 82 parts car, it never had one of those. My 88 had one, but now that I think back on it, it wasn't there when I bought the car. I wonder where that thing came from:rolleyes::) Seems like my Legacy now has 3 that I didn't come with. I better stop getting bigger Subarus, I'm afraid what I would find inside if I got a Tribeca.:-p

Beauty of a hatch. Miss my 88:(. That one is the same color as the 82 I had, but my 82 was a 2wd and was in parts car condition when I got it, for spare parts for the 88.

I read a lot about a restoration that was done buy a guy in europe on a mid 80's supra. Alot of cars from the 80's have epoxy that seals seams inside and out. Often that will crumble off. So you can reseal those seams with new epoxy, use rust converter on any surface rust, repaint it and then put a good undercoating on the bottom of the car and it will be better than it came from the factory.

My fuel tank looks like it is coated...but with the melting snow/rain we have been getting I have not scooted much further under the car yet.

If its not coated I will probably have the local line-x undercoat it.

I plan to do what I can...but it will be a long process.

• 3 months later...
sorry guys...this was kind of a continuation of a post from yesterday. I guess I should of explained more but I failed to do so.

It is an 86 GL hatch back with 163K on it. Body and interior are nearly perfect and engine runs great. I looked in the owners manual to find a lengthy list of oil changes and other routine maintenance.

DSC01228.jpg

DSC01229.jpg

DSC01230.jpg

:slobber:

Well....I have been looking and LOOKING for a early 80's hatch. Sounds like you are going to do some repairs etc. I don't know what you paid for the car, but, if you change your mind ....I will buy that car from you at a good profit to you.

There is a hatch with 6 lugs in Waukesha, but dude wants 4-6 g's for it. Surprisingly, on the NADA listing for vintage subaru, it commands that sort of price. But dude must be digging for gold. This same car was offered to me for 500 bucks a few years ago. It is a 4wd 4spd ea81

Nice find! What did you pay for it?

Last month I found a 1982 Hatchback here in Tri- Cities. It's a 4 speed, I agree a 4 sod in town is kinda crappy always trying to find the right gear. They are a load of fun to drive. You will br surprised how good the paint is. I took a buffet and a light rubbing compound and it made it look new again.

I had a few small leaks but that is it so far. I have about 750 miles on it.

The best is the 3rd eye, does the 86 have one.

Good Luck...

Rollerball

Hey guys,

Sorry I abandoned this post.

Shortly after my last posting my hours were dramatically cut at work so I've been spending the past few months focusing on job hunting.

Add in my wife leaving me, well... talking about my Subaru has been the last thing on my mind.

I've spent about 5 months with this car and I love it. It has started leaking some oil. Not bad but needs to be fixed soon. Also I have noticed my fuel economy drop from 28-30 down to 25ish as the weather has warmed up.

I think instead of having the current carb tuned I'm just going to hunt for a good price on an webber and do that this summer.

Mostly just needs some tuneup work and a few other minor fixes.