Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car Wont Start After Changing Spark Plugs

wed. night i picked up 'autolite' copper spark plugs from O'reilly's,

went home and changed the cylinder 1&3 plugs,

the plugs i removed were worn but normallly

then realized i didnt have a 3/8" u-joint so reconnected the spark plug wires to go get one

when i tried to start my car up it wouldnt start.. sometimes it turns over constantly sometimes even starts to start but nothing after..

i took out the plugs i'd just put in and they smelled like gas and were covered in dark, 'oily' fluid..

i put in the original plugs and still no start, pulled those plugs and got the same dark oil fluid on them

Does the plug ground properly through the engine block. It should with such an amount of thread. Unscrew plug or measure resistance between sparkplughead and block it should be very high.

Also could be some oil came into the cable end which goes onto the plug when the valve cover seals are worn.

i didnt unplug anything other than the boots from the plug.. everything else looked good..

i didnt torque the plugs though but i dont think an electrical connection is being made since the plugs are soaked with black gas/oil

Since you see the plugs are soaked with black gas/oil, I agree with you that you are not getting spark to the plugs. If you haven't done so, check to see that all plug wires are on correctly, and are plugged in properly to the coil pack. However, I am thinking that you have already done this. Swap out coil packs, if you have access to one.

Any chance that you accidentally crossed plug wires on reassembly to 1 and 3?

i tightened them, but i didnt torque them to the fsm specs, i just used a socket to tighten it...

any idea if a leaking valve cover gasket is causing oil to enter the cylinder?

An engine will run even if the plugs are loose... That's the main reason plug holes get stripped out.

Valve cover gaskets keep the oil from leaking out of the engine, won't have any effect on running. And since the plugs on the ej22 don't go through the gasket, you couldn't get oil in the plug holes from it leaking either.

i didnt unplug anything other than the boots from the plug.. everything else looked good..

i didnt torque the plugs though but i dont think an electrical connection is being made since the plugs are soaked with black gas/oil

You MUST torque the spark plugs using a torque wrench. Too loose and the engine will "spit out" the spark plugs, ruining the spark plug hole threads in the cyclinder head. Too tight and you strip the spark plug hole threads in the head. Sure, I've done the spark plugs "by hand' myself in the past. But it's an unnecessary risk to take when a torque wrench can be had for a reasonable amount of money.

They should be ok out the box. But you check the gap on the new plugs?

Edited by The Dude

The 3/4 in. hose (the biggest one there) that runs from the idle air control to the air tubing has come loose under the air tubing. Find the big black box at back of engine and follow the tubing to the air filter box, then look on the bottom about the middle of the tubing that connects these two, you will see where to push the 3/4 in. hose back on.

When this hose pulls loose which it does quite often when changing plugs, the car will almost try to start but it wont stay running.

Your plugs are black and oily because you are not getting the proper air for it to start and run.

Edited by tcspeer