Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Preserving an 08 Legacy for 2.5 years?

Hello everybody,

I have a 2008 Legacy that is in great shape and less than 30,000 miles. I really like it and don't mind having an 'older' car relative to the miles when I return. The main reason I bought a new car was to have it from 'start to finish' and so it would be reliable.

I have a garage to store it in, but it probably won't be started more than once every couple months. Where it will be stored, the temperatures will range throughout the year from 0-100*F. It's a relatively dry environment, but lots of rats.

Here's a list of what I'm planning to do to preserve it, but know I'm missing some things.

1.) Wash, vacuum, clean interior, wax.

2.) Change oil, anti-freeze, power steering fluid, brake fluid.

3.) Put some sort of additive/preservative in the fuel, then top off tank.

4.) Remove spark plugs, spray some sort of oil in cylinders, put spark plugs back in (not sure what's best?)

5.) Heavy duty garbage bag over the intake.

6.) Rag in the tail pipe.

7.) Cover exposed metal (brakes, where else?) with WD40

8.) Remove battery and put on trickle charger

9.) Put car cover on

10.) Leave list of things to do before running the car (i.e. remove air intake cover, etc)

11.) Leave a ton of rat traps and poison around.

My main questions:

1.) I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with the tires. I've heard that with modern radials you don't have to remove them and that it's better for the suspension to have the wheels still on. What would you recommend?

2.) It will be parked on a cement floor, should I try to put down kitty litter or a plastic sheet to prevent moisture?

3.) If I leave the tires on, should I park them on 2x4's or plywood?

4.) Should I leave windows partially cracked?

5.) Is there any sort of coating I should put on window/trunk seals to reduce the chance or rotting/cracking?

6.) Is it important to change all of the fluids now, or can some wait until I return? (The car has not had it's 30,000 mile checkup, it's at 28k right now)

7.) Any specifically recommended preservatives for the fuel or other fluids?

8.) What kind of oil to put in the cylinders? I have heard something about 'fogging' the engine through the air intake. Should that be done instead?

9.) Would it be worth it to try to put down 2x4's and plastic to form a seal around the car cover to keep rodents out?

Am I forgetting any crucial steps?

Thank you very much for any feedback.

Lots of rats???............oh that doesn't sound good at all. All rodents like to chew on wiring to sharpen their teeth, and build nests everywhere. I hate to think what damage they could do to your car's wiring under the hood, or seats if they get inside the car. I have seen what damage mice can do over one winter to the interior of a car. Rodents can enter the interior of a car via the smallest of openings. If they can squeeze not much more then their noses into an opening, they can wiggle the rest of their body through the opening. Any chance of parking the car elsewhere for 2.5 years?

Irregardless, if it were me, I would consider selling the car, and buying another car after 2.5 years.

If rats want to get in (and they will) they'll chew right through any cover you put over the car to try and keep them out. If you must store the car, your best bet is to seal off any areas where mice/rats can enter the storage room. Thoroughly clean the entire room to remove any traces of food that might attract rodents. Do not put poison in the room since that may attract them.

I'm with rooster. A much as you don't want to, you wold be better served to sell the car and buy another when you return.

Here is a novel idea, "sell" it to someone, have them insure it and pay you say 100 dollars a month to "borrow" it. That way it gets driven every day, is fully insured against theft/damage and when you come back their lease is up.

Sure it will have more mileage than when you left, but hey, its a Subaru. Maybe let your parents borrow it? I know my parents wouldn't turn down borrowing a 3 year old car.

In regards to some of the question:

Make sure you use "Stable" gas stabilizer, in a tank of the best premium gas name brand premium. They always recommend 3/4 tank full. I myself recommend 1/2 tank. That way you can burn thru the old gas little quicker and top with fresh higher percent fresh gas.

Also, I recommend using the jack points on the cars rocker frame rails for small jackstands. The idea is to not have the car fully in the air, that can stretch springs over time. You want just enough weight still on the car, but need to get the pressure off the tires so they don't flat spot. Do NOT use any tire dressing, if you have any on the tires now, wash it off with good dish-soap. The tire dressing will crack the rubber if it is on it. The entire car not suspended at all will weaken springs over time they will sag.

Some things to think about are brakes freezing, if you have the tires off the ground then you can go turn the wheels, butt like i said if they are off ground completely, the springs will stretch.

You don't want flatspots on your tire that is very bad on them.

Disconnect the battery cables and store the battery in a 60-70 degree room. If you leave it in the car, disconnect the terminals or they will drain the battery over time /clock, radio presets, etc all drain if connected.

Good luck.

I have stored a 64 chevelle SS for 20 years, and currently storing a few Hondas, one for over 10 years now. Do not out them away wet in any form.

Do not crack the windows...rodents will climb the door and come thru the gap.

Use "mint" rodent prevention packets. forgot the name of them. put them on the floors and one in the glovebox.

Edited by bheinen74

I would sell the car as well. If it was a rare car I would keep it but otherwise there is no reason to keep it unless you are upside down in it.

There isn't a friend or family member you could loan the car to for a monthly fee just to keep it insured, moving, and honestly preserved better than a garage can do?

Suppose you could put moth balls around the car, but it could leave residual smell with the car. Maybe plug in one of those ultrasonic rodent deterrents that emit a high pitch frequency.

Aside from rodents, Changing the coolant will help prolong the coolant system, and prohibit corrosion, just like the zinc rod in a a water heater does. Get your fluids changed now. When the car is back in service 2.5 yrs from now, change the oil. The trans fluids should be fine.

It would be ideal to have the car started up now and again, and ran through to operating temperature. Best if the car can be driven once a month.

Use a silicone spray on all the door and trunk seals. You can use it on plastics and rubber that would fade over time. Don't forget to wash and wax the door jambs if you are detailing the car. Make sure there is no dirt or leaves hanging out behind the fender, windshield cowl, and in the trim pieces above the doors, inside the mud flap and fender arches.

For parking on wood, park on something that the tire will sit evenly upon, vs straddling over a 2x4.

Rats shouldn't need to go in the car unless it's warm or have food.

Suppose you could deter any potential for rodent intrusion by providing a heated area away from the barn such as some sort of doghouse with nesting material.

This advise would be conducive with preserving a car, but in your case with a new car with lo miles, do what makes the best financial sense for you.