Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recommended Seattle area Rebuild shop for a EA82

why not fix it yourself? if you're capable of pulling the motor to take it somewhere you're certainly capable of resealing it.

if it's just leaking oil - it could be something as simple as valve cover gaskets or a front seal.

more than likely a simple front end job - crank seal, cam seal, reseal oil pump, and valve cover gaskets will stop most leaks. and that's not much labor, far simpler than pulling the motor.

pulling it for a rebuild is kind of silly if it's an easy and cheap fix.

EA82 headgaskets are even easy to do in the car if you don't have a bad back.

if that's how you proceed - i'd get it to GD as well, he's very familiar with old school EA's...though he doesn't like them. :lol:

If I were you, I'd look for a used engine in good shape or take yours down to GeneralDisorder in Portland. He is highly recommended on here, and you could make up your costs in travel with how much less he charges. If you go for another shop and they eff something up, you'll have to pay for the work twice, which is another reason to go to GD. I live in Portland but came from Port Angeles, so I may be able to arrange transportation, depending on timing.

If you're not up for those options, here are some other thoughts:

I've heard not great things about Superior Subaru. I saw one car that was serviced by them that wasn't done too well. The place on Lake City Way is Smart Service. I hear they're pretty good. If you PM edrach on the board, he has a Subaru mechanic in the Seattle area that is good and offers fair prices. Kito, Outback, and Pacific Import Auto are consistently recommended as well.

Jacob

Steve's Pacific Import Auto

13311 Pacific Ave S

Tacoma, WA 98444

(253) 536-0389

They have been there just about forever, and they specialize in Subarus.

Here they are reviewed on Yelp, 5 stars out of 5.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/steves-pacific-import-auto-tacoma

Reviewed on NationalCitySearch:

http://national.citysearch.com/profile/10872074/tacoma_wa/steve_s_pacific_import_auto.html

Reviewed on InsiderPages:

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3723165889/steves-pacific-import-auto-tacoma

All reviews are 5 stars out of 5.

Smart Service is on Ballinger Way in Shoreline and Mukilteo (2 shops). I do NOT suggest the shop on Lake City Way; they do not have the best reputation. PM me for the info on the shop in Snohomish if you like.

If I were you, I'd look for a used engine in good shape or take yours down to GeneralDisorder in Portland. He is highly recommended on here, and you could make up your costs in travel with how much less he charges. If you go for another shop and they eff something up, you'll have to pay for the work twice, which is another reason to go to GD. I live in Portland but came from Port Angeles, so I may be able to arrange transportation, depending on timing.

If you're not up for those options, here are some other thoughts:

I've heard not great things about Superior Subaru. I saw one car that was serviced by them that wasn't done too well. The place on Lake City Way is Smart Service. I hear they're pretty good. If you PM edrach on the board, he has a Subaru mechanic in the Seattle area that is good and offers fair prices. Kito, Outback, and Pacific Import Auto are consistently recommended as well.

Jacob

Hey everyone thank you for the input! I could prob do the work, just got alot of stuff on my plate, and and a not too motivated teen. I figure he can pay for the work if he is too busy to lend a hand. I will have to push him to see if he can get this thing in the garage and the motor pulled next week. The snow this week didnt help any!

I can definitely recommend Carl's Foreign Car Service, near UVillage. It's a great shop, same three mechanics the whole time I've gone there (since 2002). EA82 rebuilds used to be their bread and butter; they haven't done one in awhile but definitely have it dialed in.

+1 on redoing it yourself or taking it to Rick (GeneralDisorder) down here.

Ive got a nice oil leak on start-up when cold, so Rick and I are looking at it this weekend, probably needed to do the rear main or something, but looking at the engine bay (although mine has a carburetor) its very open and shouldnt take longer than 30-40 minutes to pull it out, give yourself 2-3 hours to do all the seals (might as well do timing belt/water pump since you have it out)

Just my opinion.

i think my ea82 blew a head gasket. I used to have to add water to the radiator once every few months. Now it's gotten really bad to where i have to add water before i drive to work or so. It also developed a horrible knocking yesterday, idk why. I checked the oil and it was low, i topped it off. Still making that noise. It has 220k miles on the stock clutch.

I' live in federal way but go to school in seattle. I've always told myself that i can get atleast 300k out of this bad boy but it looks like i'm stranded. Where can i find an ea82 longblock for sale for a couple hundred bucks? I figure if i can find one for 300 i can do the work myself. I've called a few junk yards and some want $1000 for one. i could go out and get another GL for a little bit more.

What do you think i should do? thinking with the least amount of money, even if i can just get a year or two more out of it and i can finish school. Rebuild the ea82? new headgaskets, and seals? I think it might have a rod knock so idk if i'd want to just do the head gasket and seals. This car was mr. reliable for so long, it makes me sad to see it finally breaking down. Reminds me of life.. :/

Located in Seattle/Tacoma as well. Thanks

i think my ea82 blew a head gasket. I used to have to add water to the radiator once every few months. Now it's gotten really bad to where i have to add water before i drive to work or so. It also developed a horrible knocking yesterday, idk why. I checked the oil and it was low, i topped it off. Still making that noise. It has 220k miles on the stock clutch.

I' live in federal way but go to school in seattle. I've always told myself that i can get atleast 300k out of this bad boy but it looks like i'm stranded. Where can i find an ea82 longblock for sale for a couple hundred bucks? I figure if i can find one for 300 i can do the work myself. I've called a few junk yards and some want $1000 for one. i could go out and get another GL for a little bit more.

What do you think i should do? thinking with the least amount of money, even if i can just get a year or two more out of it and i can finish school. Rebuild the ea82? new headgaskets, and seals? I think it might have a rod knock so idk if i'd want to just do the head gasket and seals. This car was mr. reliable for so long, it makes me sad to see it finally breaking down. Reminds me of life.. :/

Located in Seattle/Tacoma as well. Thanks

If there's a loud knocking then the engine might be done. I could verify your issues if you'd like. I'm in Kirkland.

Also, whats funny about AWD Auto is that one of the service writers is a great friend of mine and also my roomate LOL...

Steve's Pacific Import Auto

13311 Pacific Ave S

Tacoma, WA 98444

(253) 536-0389

They have been there just about forever, and they specialize in Subarus.

Here they are reviewed on Yelp, 5 stars out of 5.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/steves-pacific-import-auto-tacoma

Reviewed on NationalCitySearch:

http://national.citysearch.com/profile/10872074/tacoma_wa/steve_s_pacific_import_auto.html

Reviewed on InsiderPages:

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3723165889/steves-pacific-import-auto-tacoma

All reviews are 5 stars out of 5.

Steve, Dave and the boys are great at PIA but they dont really like to work ea82. But if you are willing to pay they will do the work.