Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for another legacy wagon

I dunno I'm looking at this one car only thing is in the pictures it's an 2000 outback but someone painted the car one color in the picture the paint looks a bit rough looking..

having said that it says it needs headgaskets so I'm not sure had bad it is..

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes the phase 2 engines can have internal leakage too. they start as oil leaks and progress to internal. I have 4 apart in my shop 80k-170k. All have varying internal leaks. when no dealt with : A.oil gets thinned by excess gas from a rich mixture caused by burned coolant fouling the o2 sensor or B. coolant mixing with oil. Both lead to spun bearings. just replaced the engine in one that wasn't fixed in time.

I have a question bubbling in the overflow tank happens when the car is both cold and warm right?

When it's getting really bad, but when the leak is just starting you may not get bubbling when the engine is cold because the Tstat is closed. Safest bet is to get the engine up to temp then look.

I think Im going to check out this 1999 Outback wagon only issue is the seller says it stalls out at stop lights and may need exhaust work.. I'm guessing timing is set wrong or the MAF is bad or a very bad vac leak..

he's selling for I think $1,895 obo maybe I can take it down to $1300

was the 2000 model the only year with the 16.9 gal fuel tank? i don't understand what this guy is saying the steering column is leaking.. I think he means steering rack?

also I've wanted to know on the 2000 models what is that cutout on the dash next to the HVAC controls?

Edited by 1-3-2-4

96 is single port. what are you looking for, an EJ22? for EJ22's:

1995-1996 is non-interference. 97+ is interference.

1996+ is single port.

Can you swap heads so the 99 Ej22 can be dual port? Given this is a phase 2 motor I'd have to use phase 2 heads?

Can you swap heads so the 99 Ej22 can be dual port? Given this is a phase 2 motor I'd have to use phase 2 heads?

You can't use the phase 1 heads with your phase 2 wiring system because the intakes don't swap. With the phase2 ej22 you're pretty much stuck with what ya got.

You can't use the phase 1 heads with your phase 2 wiring system because the intakes don't swap. With the phase2 ej22 you're pretty much stuck with what ya got.

don't they have some phase 2's with dual ports? I'm not sure which models they are

There isn't a phase2 ej22 with dual port heads. I think the ej25 is, but that would eff with the compression ratio.

odd I have a friend with a EJ22 who had single port headers in which he decided to change his heads so he would have better options for aftermarket headers He said it would just swap right over.

odd I have a friend with a EJ22 who had single port headers in which he decided to change his heads so he would have better options for aftermarket headers He said it would just swap right over.

It probably wasn't a phase 2 one.