Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for another legacy wagon

lets see all major engine changes are from '96 and onwards right? a 96 was the last year for dual port headers? and the last for the HLA?

I'm trying to figure out what year's to avoid dealing with.

I'm in no big rush I at least 9 weeks to pay around before I get serious

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2001 should have the Phase II EJ25, it's probably just external head gasket issues. If it was a 1998, I would stay faaaaar away.

1998 & 1999 share the same issue right as far as the headgaskets and whole bottom end issue?

I would have to get some amazing deal on the forester.. but most likely going to stick with the legacy the only forester I loved was my '03 FXS so it's now between a 95-00 Legacy I'm looking at.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

funny thing is I tried so hard to get an outback until I found my then legacy for $400 in Brooklyn, NY

last year alone I put 30K on the car.. for it being 230,000+ it was very good.

I will never forget.. 195,065 is what it had when I picked it up...

Pretty sure that I have read that any Leggie either 2.2 or 2.5 starting with year 1997 and afterwards is an interference motor.

:( I just don't want to screw up anything when I do the timing belt.. a Ej22 for 1999 would still be a SOHC right? and the EJ25 would be DOHC?

edit yep just checked cars101

It seems like Vermont is the best place to find a 5MT without a crazy over priced amount.. about 200 miles from here which is not that bad. I've been before a few times.

DO NOT BUY ONE UP HERE

You will end up with a rust pice o crap that you can not keep ahead of. I buy all of my cars from the south now due to our massive rust issues. Lately the newest thing we are seeing, is the rear subframes rusting out of the car, even when the rest of it still looks good. There's a reason they are less money...RUST! If you buy a new enough one it will be fine, but all the second gen legos are rusty up here. Just a warning.

Every 4 cyl '97 and later, no matter the engine, is interference.

96-99 DOHC ej25 any car, has internal HG failure issue and are susceptible to rod bearing failure due to overheating.

2000 and later SOHC ej25 any car, may have external HG leaks that can be contained using Subaru coolant conditioner.

DO NOT BUY ONE UP HERE

You will end up with a rust pice o crap that you can not keep ahead of. I buy all of my cars from the south now due to our massive rust issues. Lately the newest thing we are seeing, is the rear subframes rusting out of the car, even when the rest of it still looks good. There's a reason they are less money...RUST! If you buy a new enough one it will be fine, but all the second gen legos are rusty up here. Just a warning.

hmm what about a 99? my late legacy was new from MA then later moved to NY then finally me the 3rd owner was here in CT.

I did not think VT was big on salting the roads. my legacy only had 4 rust bubbles but no like huge holes or anything crazy like that.

Every 4 cyl '97 and later, no matter the engine, is interference.

96-99 DOHC ej25 any car, has internal HG failure issue and are susceptible to rod bearing failure due to overheating.

2000 and later SOHC ej25 any car, may have external HG leaks that can be contained using Subaru coolant conditioner.

well hopefully it wont be a pain to do the timing belt.. all I remember is something like the cams can't be both turned the same way or something like that.. I'd just turn the whole engine over before hand before turning the key...

It's not that bad as long as you set everything at the proper marks for timing belt change. The marks align the cams where they are not loaded by the valves, or at least are not loaded in such a way that they will kick out of place once the belt is removed. The DOHC engines are the only ones you really need to worry about since the cams can spin opposite directions and pin valves against valves. With the SOHC engines there's no way to do that.

It's not that bad as long as you set everything at the proper marks for timing belt change. The marks align the cams where they are not loaded by the valves, or at least are not loaded in such a way that they will kick out of place once the belt is removed. The DOHC engines are the only ones you really need to worry about since the cams can spin opposite directions and pin valves against valves. With the SOHC engines there's no way to do that.

yeah my SOHC was easy to do once you find the right marks.. So how do you keep the cams from popping out of place? Is it the same for the SOHC? I used a spring clip

You set them at the marks and leave them alone. :lol:

hahaha man i wont have enough saved until at least around end of April I can feel like I have enough to work with after bills and so on..

That a long time without another Subaru :( I do know the sway bars will be one of the first things I upgrade..