Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite common on modern engines. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Saab have all done this for years. They just use cartridge type filters instead of the canister type. It makes an oil and filter change very quick and simple, with no need to lift the car, and if done properly, there is no mess to clean up afterwards.

I like it. Looks simple and efficiently laid out. Looks like they took a few chapters from the H6 design book and pasted it into the new H4.

I particularly like the serpentine belt - no more idiots destroying alt and AC compressor bearings from over-tightening hard belts that should have been replaced. Also a simple change out - looks like it would take about 30 seconds to toss a new belt on. Total win in my book. External water pump like an EA81.... another win.

I really don't see anything I don't like here. If anything Subaru has continued to stay true to the their herritage of using extremely simple and well-thought-out designs.

GD

I like it too, everything looks really doable to me. We are going to get good at replacing the bearings in those serpentine idlers, they are a common weakness in the H6 3.0 cars and look identical. I also love that techs in the dealerships are going to have to stop replacing 1 head gasket, in car.

Interesting, I really like it. The H6 has really proven itself to me as a great motor, as stated, you can see some of the design was taken from that. I'm very glad the filter is on the top, rather than squeezed in the header pipes :rolleyes: The offset on two of the connecting rods is also interesting.

First thing I thought when I saw that is "I hope those belt idlers are more reliable than the H6 ones...".

Looks like a cool design though, the oil filter would be so easy to change... I like it!

Also the plastic intake manifold, probably a pretty good weight reduction there.

First thing I thought when I saw that is "I hope those belt idlers are more reliable than the H6 ones...".

Looks like a cool design though, the oil filter would be so easy to change... I like it!

Also the plastic intake manifold, probably a pretty good weight reduction there.

As long as it's not prone to cracking.

I actually have problems. I suppose it's just me as I respect the opinions of others I respect. There is something about that one belt going thru all those contortions. tha's one Mean belt. It doesn't even have 1/2 contact with the alternator yet practically wrapped around the tensioner-for good reason, i suspect. i mean heck, whatever, I guess it works and if any one component fails then everything goes at once. But I'm no "engineer". just blathering

The other thing is about filters. You've noticed the noxious junk which comes out of filter which has been suspended opposite this one. That's because the crude and suspended crud is on one side of the seal, the seal between center threaded input. Now when this one is removed, upside down like this, doesn't it all sorta,maybe,fall/drip back into the engine?

Edited by Fuzpile

The other thing is about filters. You've noticed the noxious junk which comes out of filter which has been suspended opposite this one. That's because the crude and suspended crud is on one side of the seal, the seal between center threaded input. Now when this one is removed, upside down like this, doesn't it all sorta,maybe,fall/drip back into the engine?

Not if the anti drain-back valve is functioning properly. But even if it did, any "crud" would just go back into the pump side, so it would get sucked right into the new filter when the engine is started.

I like the timing chain most. No more broken timing belts to kill your engine. Probably a pita to reseal the timing covers if they start leaking though.

Man the last thing..(is to agrue wu) anyway I just think it's wrong. Backflow valve whatever, once its unscrewed the seal is broken. But hey, you're right it's not my momma's filter either. Some special type and it probably isn't supposed to get dirty or replace by another that "fits"

btw I'm from Dixieland also and enjoy your posts and information:)

The design has worked well for BMW for decades. The only difference with their system is they use a filter cartridge, essentially just the filter medium a normal filter has, rather than a whole filter can.

Besides, just like on pretty much any other engine, if you don't like how they have the filter, you can get a remote oil filter system that'll relocate it.

Well you cut me a break there not calling me a total bonehead. i'm absolutely sure it works well even though there aren't particularly many of long-lived BMW engines that I would know about. I suppose i'm enthralled about about the whole deal except constantly escape the long road ahead and focuss on after it happened. As gasoline floats on oil and would normally collect as would humidity in a filter suspended underwise. It is different.

Thumbs up to the timing chain design. Back to the maintenance-free days of the EA engines! (or close to it)

There's still checks that need to be performed around the same mileage interval (105k). It's not exactly an EA81. Chains still do wear and need inspection/replacement. Just less chance of breakage overall and less likely to have a problem if ignored.

GD

There's still checks that need to be performed around the same mileage interval (105k). It's not exactly an EA81. Chains still do wear and need inspection/replacement. Just less chance of breakage overall and less likely to have a problem if ignored.

GD

Certainly. A chain can be a blessing or a curse. I tend to think Subaru would take a page out of the H6 book and design the FB with a similar chain setup.

But if they went to Jaguar for advice they may be breaking guides at 120k miles and leaving you with the irritable valve syndrome.

Most modern chains do not need replacement until around 250k miles in my experience. There are the occasional bad apples, but for the most part you don't hear about broken chains like you do belts.

• 4 weeks later...

Stopped at the dealer today and had a chance to inspect the new FB engine in person. It was installed in a new Forester and that thing had way more than enough room. Even the water pump looked like it would not be too bad of a job to change.