Ultimate Subaru Message Board

water pumps are different some of the time. The flange faces forward instead of down. Wiring should be the same but you can always swap old manifold on to jdm engine. Do the timing belt, water pump and idler pulleys before installing.

will the wiring harness meet up?
no...or yes...or...actually usually that doesn't matter. typically you bolt the "old" intake manifold on top of the JDM engine so the engine wiring harness doesn't change.

but more specifics would help - what vehicle, year, and motor?

why waste your money on a JDM 25d, that motor is junk, your going to pay for a clean POS that will fail as well, why not just do the ej22 swap and call it a day. The ej25d is one of their BIG mistakes, along with the EA82,EA82T. IMO.

Agreed, the EJ25D is the worst Subaru engine in common use today. You are, as Suba9792 said, guaranteed to have HG problems again. The design of the heads is what makes these motors junk. Unless you have loads of cash laying around and will miss a few extra horses, swap an EJ22. The only issue you will have with that swap is you will have to bend the Power Steering lines to fit the pump (assuming you're using the pump on the EJ22). Other than that, it will plug right in, and you're on your way for as long, if not longer, as the brand new EJ25D.

This of course is assuming your starting with an EJ25D. If your starting with something else, find a whole different swap all together.

Edited by cj7135
Re-read previous posts

You Guys are funny.

With thousands of EJ25's out there with updated HG's. VERY FEW have failed again.

When the HG's are done properly, they'll out last the rest of the car/engine.

IMO the prob stems from FHI using a coated metal gasket.

You Guys are funny.

With thousands of EJ25's out there with updated HG's. VERY FEW have failed again.

When the HG's are done properly, they'll out last the rest of the car/engine.

IMO the prob stems from FHI using a coated metal gasket.

Well that is somewhat true, with the updated headgaskets, your chances of leaks are diminshed to a normal EJ engine. You mentioned it, and you're absolutely right when you say "done properly," since I've seen the EJ25D's leak 10,000km after re-installation with either wrong gaskets, or wrong mechanic.

I STILL believe your overall reliability will be better AND cheaper with an EJ22 swap. I've done lots of those and have never had regrets. I always regret buying or installing the EJ25's. Just my experience though.

they still throw rods . The EJ25d is a POS no matter if its new or not! I've been out to GDs place a few times, and almost every time he is doing a ej22 swap into a 25d car, because they have failed is some way, mostly rods and HGs. Oh and you can pick up an ej22 for less than it cost to rebuild and machine the heads from an over heated 2.5d. Once the 25d has been overheated to a serious degree you really don't know how much the internals have suffered. It was a poor design. If I'm correct a lot of the bearing failure is due to the stroke,the super thin walls of the block, head design, and a shady HG from the factory. Sure you get more power.....but you can do that with a ej22 swap and torque cams....just sayin:lol: . not really worth the head ache.

Edited by Suba9792

Just because someone says it's a JDM doesn't make it any better of an engine. I'd say someone just yanked one out of a USDM car and since it is a Japanese company, called it JDM.

I also agree with everyone that EJ25D is junk. I'm still not even a fan of the Phase II EJ25.

i feel the reason why these engines have rod bearing failure is that they get abused due to the repeated overheating when the head gaskets do fail. people keep driving the cars because the overheating is intermittent and over time it just destroys the engine. i had a buddy who kept overheating his 99 legacy and when the headgaskets were finally replaced he experience rod bearing failure less than 10k afterwards. same thing also just recently happened to a neighbor of mine who drove to work for 3 months until finally getting around to doing a HG job.

I would however still put an EJ22 in over an EJ25d any day. My wife's 93 has been so good to us in comparison to the money ive put into my 98.

i feel the reason why these engines have rod bearing failure is that they get abused due to the repeated overheating when the head gaskets do fail. people keep driving the cars because the overheating is intermittent and over time it just destroys the engine.

Ding Ding Ding!!! Show him what he's won!

I think a good portion of rod throwin' could be attributed to this.

I'm certainly not saying I didn't just get lucky and get a good one, but I'm fond of my EJ25D. It's got 175K, and 50K on the first head gasket replacement. I've redlined it for most of the day on dunes more than once(the first time was the day the HG blew). I've just generally beat the hell out of the poor thing. But, I've cared for it very well at the same time.

If you maintain it properly, I think it's an OK engine. Not good, not great, but good enough for me.

That said, I'd only rebuild or get a rebuilt one if I were to replace it.

The devil I know is better than some 50k, oil never been changed, driven like mad, JDM boat anchor.

208K Miles on my 2.5. HG's Done @ 200K

It'll prolly go for another 75-100K miles. Perfectly acceptable Duty Life if You ask Me.

IMO, you got a lucky one. I have an EJ22 swap, the engine has almost 270,000, and has yet to need a HG. Only things changed are the spark plugs and timing belt. I like the extra power the EJ25 offers, but they're more suitable for somebody who floats to work and goes out of town once or twice a year, or people who like to change engines. I think a lot of the EJ22 fans like to wind out the engine a lot, because they really can howl and never break. My EJ22 has been at redline at least twice a day for the last 10 years, and it still hums like its new, and that doesn't include my road trips, which would bring it to the redline an average of 50 times a trip if i had to guess.

All this EJ25 HG stuff, but is this only the DOHC engines? What about the EJ 25 SOHC engines, different heads so is it the same problem?

The Phase II (99 and later) EJ25's with SOHC use different materials in making the headgaskets I believe. Subaru tuned into the problem, and modified both the heads and the gaskets for the new engine. That is what i'm told tho, i didn't design them so I can't say that's what it is for sure. I will tell you that i've gotten over 350,000km on a phase II EJ25 with no HG issues. I was either lucky or Subaru did something.