Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Still no spark. Please help !!!

Before everybody jumps on me and says "we've said it a thousand times. read the older posts" I have read the older posts. I've even conversed with some of the great people from this forum, but I still don't have any spark. What I do have apparently is a FREAK of a motor. It's a Ea81. I have replaced everything(ign. coil, p.u. coil, coil wire, rewired coming back from the battery) except the ditsy itself. I am hesitant to do that, because i don't want to drop another $140 and change on a "new" re-maned ditsy and still have no flame. I'm asking you to put your thinking caps on. One of you good people knows what the issue is. I just need you to tell me. All help is greatly appreciated as my wife's ride has been a yard gnome for the past 4 months.

im not sure what others have told you to do, but a multi-meter and wiring diagram should do you well. have you traced your power wires/ ground wires at all? power from coil? does your rotor spin on the dizzy? just start at your plugs and keep moving till you get through you ignition system. sooner or later you will find where you are loosing power.

It's very simple - check for power to the coil durring cranking - should be +12v to the positive terminal. Then check the coil resistance - should be about 1 Ohm and about 10,000 Ohms on either side. Then check for the ignition pulse with a test light between the negative coil post and the battery negative while cranking - if it passes those tests then your problem is with the plugs/wires, or you actually do have spark. If it doesn't pass the ignition pulse test with the test light then you need a new ignition module in the distributor.

There is no reason to be throwing parts at your problem - this is easily and simply diagnosed and has been discussed on this and other forums many, many times.

GD

It's very simple - check for power to the coil durring cranking - should be +12v to the positive terminal. Then check the coil resistance - should be about 1 Ohm and about 10,000 Ohms on either side. Then check for the ignition pulse with a test light between the negative coil post and the battery negative while cranking - if it passes those tests then your problem is with the plugs/wires, or you actually do have spark. If it doesn't pass the ignition pulse test with the test light then you need a new ignition module in the distributor.

There is no reason to be throwing parts at your problem - this is easily and simply diagnosed and has been discussed on this and other forums many, many times.

GD

After doing all this could a bad ditsy bushing give false diagnosis either good or bad? Just wondering cause I have an 84brat that is a real BRAT for starting then not starting then starting then not.........you get the idea, I plan on replacing the disty as a last straw fix.............G

Before everybody jumps on me and says "we've said it a thousand times. read the older posts" I have read the older posts. I've even conversed with some of the great people from this forum, but I still don't have any spark. What I do have apparently is a FREAK of a motor. It's a Ea81. I have replaced everything(ign. coil, p.u. coil, coil wire, rewired coming back from the battery) except the ditsy itself. I am hesitant to do that, because i don't want to drop another $140 and change on a "new" re-maned ditsy and still have no flame. I'm asking you to put your thinking caps on. One of you good people knows what the issue is. I just need you to tell me. All help is greatly appreciated as my wife's ride has been a yard gnome for the past 4 months.

Check for spark at the coil wire rather than a plug wire.

Put a test light on coil negative w/key on.

If light iluminates,crank engine to see if it pulsates.

If no pulsation,ignition module(Hitachi disty),pickup coil assy.(Nippon Denso), or wiring between coil and disty is bad.

If light does not iluminate,move it to coil positive.

If light iluminates now,coil is burnt out.

If light stays dark,you have no power to the coil.Check fuses.

This will ID the problem more than 99% of the time.