Ultimate Subaru Message Board

head gaskets and more headgaskets

OK... i'm starting to get real pessimistic about these subaru headgaskets. I just replaced the HG on a 05 outback. im also replacing 4 phase 2 2.5 HG right now ( 2 impreza and 2 outbacks) I thought they were supposed to be fixed by 2003 or something like that. I'm sure its been posted by what is the issue with using a composite HG like the ej22 (95-98) used. They rarely fail. It seems like all engines with the multi layer gasket have HG failure. Anyone here doing research/testing in this field?

I assume you read post on here and only went to you Subaru OEM for headgasket dealer on this.

They do leak oil. about 80k is the expectancy. Nothing the same as prior year leaking coolant or exhaust into the coolant.

Yes. the 2005 -2009 leak headgasket oil.

this has been discussed. \

too bad the ones on here have not chimed in on this so much yet. maybe cause those cars are not yet the mileage yet.

subaru 2.5 is always destined to leak a headgasket. dohc 98 era most often leaks internal, exhaust into coolant. 99+sohc leaks external, they weep coolant. even the 05+, leak oil. no ej22 had this issue.

If you want a Subaru that has not had head gsket leaks, stay with 1994 and older stuff ej22. the ej25 is junk....

end of thread/

Edited by bheinen74

one is as low as 87k( 03 outback) the 05 was 110K. one impreza 130k teh other is 170K. the other outback is 165K. seems like the gaskets begin to fail around 90k and many go unchanged/fixed because a mechanic/owner is going with the " if it don't overheat then it can't have a blown gasket". This leads to the knocking lower end 2.2 and 2.5 engines(phase 2) you see on craigslist and here all the time. Total bummer subaru.

one is as low as 87k( 03 outback) the 05 was 110K. one impreza 130k teh other is 170K. the other outback is 165K. seems like the gaskets begin to fail around 90k and many go unchanged/fixed because a mechanic/owner is going with the " if it don't overheat then it can't have a blown gasket". This leads to the knocking lower end 2.2 and 2.5 engines(phase 2) you see on craigslist and here all the time. Total bummer subaru.

correct.. bummer subaru. oh well. plenty of ej22 to retrofit when the new subaru owners start to dump their HG car.

You would think that the design team over at fuji heavy could design a HG that would last longer than 100K.

Dear design team,

YOU SUCK.

Sincerely, the customers.

Who do they think they are? FORD?

no they had the indestructable ej22. it had no problems, but then they had to make bigger heavier cars that needed more power so we got stuck with a failed ej25. many people are very happy with slapping headgaskets on the ej25 at 100k. Those people need to recognize the fact that is bad engineering, the ej22 was perfect. no piston slap no rod knock on the ej22 yet people love the ej25 and its rod knock, piston slap, burned bearing and headgaskets. i dont get it. come on Subaru.

Edited by bheinen74

Yep Im using dealer "updated" HGs. Resurfaced block and heads. I built a jig for my machinist that allows him to kiss the block surface to ensure a flat mating surface. I dont trust anything subaru says. The dealer is a whole different matter. Ive re-done several dealer warranty jobs. They used a dual action sander to clean heads and block. Then they put it back together with the hope that it would last until the warranty expired. Ive seen this from several dealers from different parts of the U.S. At this point i dont trust a HG job unless i've done it myself. Too many things to miss/screw up.

Right. So what makes the 2.2 so indestructible? the HG? lower compression? less HP?

pretty sure the good engineers at fuji maximized the early ej22 in every way. Then they had "new" engineers come on board to "get more power" and they restroked the bores, changed the compression, and introduced a "INTERFERENCE" motor. The demise/ downfall of Subaru engine longevity happened after the interference engine went mainstream. I hate Subaru of new due to this

I hate subaru for this and following the trend to increase amount of cheap plastic parts on the cars and engines. It was for this reason that I quit buying/working on VWs past MY91. I have talked several people out of a newer subaru because of these issues.

Right. So what makes the 2.2 so indestructible? the HG? lower compression? less HP?

Well, it's my understanding that the 2.5 L is basically a bored out 2.2L block. So, there's a lot less metal in the 2.5L block. It's an open deck block so the cyclinder walls actually move back-and-forth against the head. It not easy to design a head gasket for an over bored engine that has dancing cyclinder walls, you try it sometime. Apparently, it ain't all that easy.

Edited by The Dude

If you want a Subaru that has not had head gsket leaks, stay with 1994 and older stuff ej22. the ej25 is junk....

end of thread/

1995 and 96 is ok, same ej22(e) with obdII, 2nd gen body(mechanically the same), but not 2.5 MLS gaskets

1995 and 96 is ok, same ej22(e) with obdII, 2nd gen body(mechanically the same), but not 2.5 MLS gaskets

The Subaru's with 2.2 and bad head gaskets that I've bought were mostly 97's and one 98. So this makes sense to me.

And I've transplanted an awful lot of 95 2.2's without doing HG's with no issues.