Ultimate Subaru Message Board

has anyone done the hid conversion on gen 2?

85wagon

I havent done it but I have thought about it. If you can get the parts off of a car in the bone yard. Projector and ballasts it will be a ton cheaper but to do it right you will spend a few hundred. The kits on amazon and ebay are lights and ballast but no projector. You should use those and not a sealed beam conversion bucket because the filament depth is different for halogen and hid and will be improperly aimed with poor focus. I have been looking into all kinds of things involving lights.

I bought a cheap projector conversion kit off flea bay and hate the low beam but high is sweet. I am now waiting on another set a little more expensive and will post my findings when its all said and done. If it doesnt work I will go for wither the Hella conversion or cibie which start at $100 just for the buckets. beware which bulbs you use also but I will let you do your own research on that.

Mike

yup, those look really good what kit are those?

This is the kit I got: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit

The kit is really cheap ($30), but it was some of the best money I spent on my car. I got the 4500k bulbs. Visibility is great. I don't think oncoming traffic is such a big fan of them though, especially with the 4" lift.

I really have no complaints about this kit, and I've been running them for a while now.

-Jason

just be aware...wiring in hid ballasts and bulbs to make really really bright bluish headlights is not the right way to go about it. I'm sure you've noticed some of the annoying cars driving around with this setup. It throws useless light everywhere and doesn't really improve driving vision. hid headlights work as a system (ballasts, bulbs, projector, housing) and don't REALLY work any other way. there are some good diy retrofit sites ... http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ is one

Rumblee that is true to a point, hid "kits" are designed to be mated with "projector lenses." But on the other hand, it all depends on the way your headlight lens is cut and the back part of the headlight bucket is designed. I have an hid kit in my truck with factory clear headlights and it throws a distinct line of light further and brighter than my previous silver start ultras did. I do know what your saying with the "fake" hids that are on the market. Don't buy the hid bulbs only, this is just a blue bulb. There are kits on the market not to retrofit almost any headlight to a projector hid headlight.

No those are a bit more expensive from what Ive heard.

These have yellow ones that are just as bright as the HIDs, just yellow, so Imma invest in another one soon because people flash their brights at me all the time, and if I flash mine then it actually does look like Im an idiot who left their brights on. Instead I wanna get flashed and then be like SHABOW and flash them with even brighter HIDS:lol:

You can buy both sinlge and dual beam hid kits. The only differance between the 2 is there is a magnet that pulls the light in/out to achive a differant reflective stand point. Might want to also invest in a headlight cleaning kit. You can have the best headlights on the market and have the cloudy yellow lens and your super bight headlights look like a 5w bulb in the sunshine!!!:grin:

looks like its definitely worth it, do you have the hi/low beam ones?

I bought the hi/low bulbs. There isn't really a big difference between hi/low (in the kit i bought), but you can tell when you switch between hi/low. The hi/low bulbs were only like $15 extra, so I figured I'd go for it.

-Jason

Im going the go with the low/high beams just to keep it as "normal" as it can be anyways... lol, the kit is definitely the way to go(i bought the blue bulb type when i was young and dumb,they lasted 2 weeks and cost 30 or 40 bucks...) i figure this is one of those upgrades you get what you pay for as far as durability.i appreciate the info i will be doing this upgrade soon so i will post pics when im able to.thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Everything was there. I had 2 sockets/wires for the 2 lights.

And whatever bulb I use for the hi beams should plug in to existing stuff.

I didnt use the sockets/wires provided, my originals plugged into the H4 bulbs.

But it isnt correct, the hi beams come on when I turn the lights on.

Need to work that out today.

Got the lows/highs fixed.

Looked at the other lenses and you were right Briggs, you cut the wires for the halos.

Not a big deal.

Edited by Turbone

• 8 months later...

Just installed a set a Bi-xoen hid conversion kit in my brothers 08 tacoma, they are awsome these are the hi/low beam ones, they work great and were super easy to install! the brand i bought were Kensun off amazon, the kit for my 86 subaru is 40.00 cheaper than my brothers was. ill post pictures when i get mine...!!!:headbang:

After you updated this I re-read the title and your first post.

You done messed up.

You asked about Gen 2 Subaru's and got responses about those, when you were actually talking about Gen 3's(?).

You need to read my write up about doing HID's (with projectors)in a Gen 3.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125187&highlight=Turbone