Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what would cause a stuck 5 MT?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spam?

Anyways I'm about to order a few parts from Subaruparts and just my luck the friken grill clips are going to take longer then the other stuff.. Anyone know if dealers keep this on hand or is it all something they need to order?

Anyways as far as the transmission side of things I have the two clips in the order for the TOB but what about that clip retainer which looks to be behind the clutch fork? Should that be ok?

That shift rod bushing I will just get locally once I can figure out which design it is since it appears to have changed mid model years.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Sticking clutch pedal?

Could be that you need a new slave cylinder.

Plenty of info on this board. Search for 'clutch slave cylinder'.

yeah I figured it could be that

the gearing on this car is awesome in what little bit I can use..

Hmm I think I have a break in the weather on Friday albeit cloudy...

because I have no 5th gear I'm going to go ahead and take off the rear housing cover.

I'm not sure if the nut back off or the shift fork is bent. While I'm at it I should do the shifter linkage.. this is the sloppiest shifter ever

I noticed subaru has like 3 different part numbers for the shift fork for 5th gear.. one being mark 4" and the other being mark 6" and the other not saying anything at all

*edit the mark number should be stamped on the fork

Edited by 1-3-2-4

I will let you know

Can the hydraulic system be done by one person as far as getting the air out? I was going to get something to suck the fluid out so the air wont be trapped in?

i get to drain the tranny fluid tomorrow so I will see how bad things look.. just going to use ramps tomorrow

How much do you think that this nut on 5th gear backed off?

Edited by 1-3-2-4

When I couldn't get into 2nd gear on a Legacy I refurbed it was the gears themselves - they had stripped all the teeth off and jammed up the engagement dogs. It wouldn't even try to go in. Transmission was shot - tons of metal.

I would just pull it - easier to work on. You'll probably find the tranny is toast - they just don't last and a replacement is the best option.

GD

It moves into 5th with no problem it's just 5th is not catching I have to pull it anyways but the tranny has a leak I think it might be where the input shaft might be it's hard to tell right now.

I was trying to do a recording of the transmission but my recorder was acting funny for some reason 5 min drive and only 1 min and 45 sec worth got recorded.

I did take some shots under the car

man this is crazy I'm going to buy a transmission in a few weeks.. I hope that car parts site is correct on prices.. I've never heard of this site before..

Do they have core charges or something? The prices are all over the place.. in like 5 weeks I'm going to be driving to Michigan.

• 2 weeks later...