Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what would cause a stuck 5 MT?

Well I was going to ask because I'm searching here and i don't (so far) see any thread where someone replaced any of the shift forks.. the good thing is at least online at subaru parts it's $44

But how are they on the shift linkage? Are they held in by a pin or something like that?

but until I open up the trans it's unknown to all of us what happened

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replacing the shift forks is possible if one is broken..... but you have to open the trans to do it so it's not really worth discussing till you open it and find out that's the actual problem.

The forks are held to rods with set-screws.

GD

I'm just as eager to open it up as anyone else but just set screws? Is that where they bend at?

I remember when it last snowed I tried to pull a subie out of a snow bank in reverse and I noticed when I was unable to.. (I needed studs) When it was time to go back into 1st my car got stuck in rev for a few and i remember for a few days I had a hard time getting in and out of 4th gear but it was mostly when pulling out but it smoothed out

Well I will update when I pull the transmission I will pick up the jack hopefully same day i don't know how quick I will get to the transmission, I just don't know if the jacks I have now are high enough I get about 17" of lift from them.

ah I understand.. question, the pair of jackstands I have now the max list is 16 3/8" is that high enough to take the tranny out while it's turned sideways? I've never tried to lift at the max height because for one I never needed to go that high.

And I'm going to guess it's going to be better off if I can raise the car level? I'm sure that high of an angle is going to be a pain. finally I can have reason enough to get another jackstand and another is to check the replacement transmission while it's in the air.

Anyone have a part number to that bushing linkage that held in by the spring pin that connects to the shift rod? if I'm going to drop the tranny then I want a nice feeling shift :)

I'd hate to go to the dealer and just print out a picture and point to it and they are clueless

*edit is the part # 35047AC030?

I thought it was only a $24 part..

Edited by 1-3-2-4

The bolts that hold the carrier to the body, probably 12 or 14mm, I don't remember exactly. You will have to remove the skid plate on the diff carrier to allow the driveshaft to fall down. Then take the carrier bearing bolts out, the driveshaft will bend in the middle and the end will side out of the trans.

Just buy a metric mechanics set from sears or something. If you don't have a 1/2" breaker bar get one of those too.

The bolts that hold the carrier to the body, probably 12 or 14mm, I don't remember exactly. You will have to remove the skid plate on the diff carrier to allow the driveshaft to fall down. Then take the carrier bearing bolts out, the driveshaft will bend in the middle and the end will side out of the trans.

Just buy a metric mechanics set from sears or something. If you don't have a 1/2" breaker bar get one of those too.

I have a 1/2" breaker bar so I should be ok since i'm going to be doing all of this I should replace the rear separator plate? Did they still use plastic back in 97?

I still got the plate and the screws in the closet.

I'm going to guess my jack at it's max height is tall enough to slip the tranny out sideways

ah Permatex 29208

it's cheaper online then the store besides it's going to rain tomorrow and the weekend so very little work is going to get done.. plus I gotta pick up some taller jackstands one with at least a 22" max lift

oh btw the rear oil separator is plastic :)

*UPDATE*

I went to see the car (paid for)

No HG leak.. only thing is the tranny was like bone dry so I went out and put in 2 qt of diff fluid..

Anyways while I did not drive the car more then 2 Ft forward and backwards I had no problems with 1st, 2nd or getting into reverse.. HOWEVER in neutral or any gear the tranny makes this sound I'm so sorry I did not do a video on my phone I forgot all about it..

the closest sound I can describe it as being a rotating sound from what sounds like from inside the tranny.. I'm not sure if it would be the TOB I felt the tranny case and I did not feel that much vibration so it could be the TOB?

Anyways 2 Qt got me up to the middle of the diff dipstick.

IMAG0001.jpg

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Bad input shaft bearing. Possibly other damage if its been run low on fluid. That bearing is easy to change once you split the tranny. About $65 at the dealer. No telling what else is damaged though. Could be a basket case - you won't know till you open it.

For sealing the tranny I use permatex anearobic or loctite 518. I use copious amounts of the stuff as it has become my go-to sealant for everything. I occasionally will use some ultra grey but not on transmissions. The transmission case is a perfect example of what anearobic was made for.

GD

When I was under the car I was wondering why the women was turning away.. I found out it was because her uncle died because this car slipped off the jack.

Having said that and her uncle worked on the car and its a new clutch and all I think I'm just going to buy a new clutch again...

I did buy ultra gray but I'm going to use it for something else. I'd have to look at that thread again but the bearing is the one after the rubber seal right? Because I don't think a little rubber ring would be $65 :P

Also how much permatex anearobic do I need? is (I think it's) the 5 oz is that enough?