Ultimate Subaru Message Board

L.B. My 83 coupe

I am planning on trying to get him put back on the road very soon..The Impreza has WAY to many miles on it for the year ( 72K and its a 2008) and the garage is needed for my 78 Datsun since the shipping company blew its electrical system out and it is now a long term project.

Went out the other day and started L.B. for the first time since probably Oct... the jump pack..a squirt of starter fluid..and he fired right up and was purring like a kitten. He really only needs a couple thing to be road worthy... STILL desperately looking for a rear bumper( its been what...2 years now?) a bunch of trim clips for the molding... and tires.

Havent decided if I am going to still do the rear disk swap on him or not since he is basically being turned into a spring/summer/fall beater....I can't bring myself to let him touch the road in winter due to salt.

Just wanted to let y'all know he is still around and still alive.

I am planning on trying to get him put back on the road very soon..The Impreza has WAY to many miles on it for the year ( 72K and its a 2008) and the garage is needed for my 78 Datsun since the shipping company blew its electrical system out and it is now a long term project.

Went out the other day and started L.B. for the first time since probably Oct... the jump pack..a squirt of starter fluid..and he fired right up and was purring like a kitten. He really only needs a couple thing to be road worthy... STILL desperately looking for a rear bumper( its been what...2 years now?) a bunch of trim clips for the molding... and tires.

Havent decided if I am going to still do the rear disk swap on him or not since he is basically being turned into a spring/summer/fall beater....I can't bring myself to let him touch the road in winter due to salt.

Just wanted to let y'all know he is still around and still alive.

hi, about the bumper: on 4-15-11 there was a post in the " stuff listed on ebay and craiglist section " there is links to 2 separate brand new ones for sale , you might have to do some searching to find who posted them for sale but i bet they are still available if you can find them. good luck .

Hope to hear more about this soon!

'78 Datsun, you must like cars with multible coils huh? ;p

Ummm... mine only has one... and since the electrical system is totally screwed... The Datsun will probably be getting a 350 swap in the future.

(reads thread.....)

YESSSSSSSS!!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Now this is good news!

Glad to hear you got yourself a bumper finally, and that youre gettin the blue wonder back on the road. I love that little car.

Also glad that youre keepin LB on a no-salt diet. :-p ...the more I sort through Steves old sedan the more I realize just how much I hate road salt. :mad: zzz

No doubt!!! You dont even want to see the underside of my Impreza ... its sad already.

So now I am on the look out for side molding trim clips...and the black pieces for that new rear bumper...I have the side moldings.

I am really happy and itching to get him on the road..I have to keep reminding myself about his crunchy 3rd gear..and need to dig out the working digi dash I have...and let it blow out ;) and I think he needed a bushing or something up front..I have to go over him again

A V12 with Lucas ignition is one of very few excuses to throw a 350 in somewhere where it wasn't intended. I know that's not the only good candidate however :lol:

A Legacy? That's even worse than a Z :(

I would rather work on a Carbed or FI 350 then Datsun Inline-6. Plus Ferrari used a GM 350 in their Daytona.

And its a 500c.i Keith Black power plant or nothing ;)

Edited by TheLoyale

Road Salt! ROAD SALT! Let me tell you a thing or two about road salt, people on the west coast could not comprehend what true rust is! You and I both know what "Rust" is :lol:

Connie gets a :banana: for bringing up L.B again!

I gotta ask, if I can go off topic for just a minute, about the Road Salt. Do you guys and gals on the East Coast and Mid-West believe the road salt that is used on your roads is necessary?

I mean, with all the destruction salt causes to cars, roads, bridges and maybe the environment, is salting the roads something that Has to be done?

I guess my question is, what if No salt was ever used on your roads, what would be the result, in your opinion, in regards to safe driving?

BTW, I'm also glad to see your working on the little blue car again, Connie. I think about it from time to time, usually when I'm at the yards, keeping my eye out for a cherry back bumper. Glad you finally found one.

Salt is not used for traction but for ice. Ice gets bad in these regions of the states and it is probally one of the better ways to combat it. Sometimes with the melt and refreeze it gets pretty bad around here as well. As to an alternative other then sand which just gives you traction i dont know what else you would do.

Yeah the ice gets really bad and for the average driver, it's probably better to have it, but honestly I just rock studded snows and get a winter car to keep my nice ones from a salty diet :grin: Back on topic, I may have a bumper strip if it's the same as a 2wd wagon, I'm debating using the stock bumpers or making tube ones like I did on my other wagon, as soon as I decide it may be up for grabs.

-Shaun

On the salt subject... once it gets cold here...it stays cold for a long time... if salt want used the roads would be nothing but sheets of ice ..packed down for months... at least with salt we can get a little bit of a melt and the sun will bake the roads dry. And now they are using that Calcium Chloride stuff that is even worse then road salt for eating away cars.

Paulyburger.. I will try to call you tonight...but we have a fill in supervisor and I might not be able to..but I will try