Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C Overhaul - '98 OBW - With Piccies!

Hello all,

Bought my OBW last year with a known A/C issue. Figured I'd wait till I'd saved enough money and the outbreak of summer before I fixed it.

So last week, got the materials together and this weekend tackled the job. I haven't seen too many pictures of this job so I thought I'd add some for anyone who is about to do this for themselves (I love it when I can see a walkthrough with piccies before I start a job :grin:).

So here goes..

Step 1) - Evacuation.

ACRepair001-Evacuate.jpg

Step 2) Pull Vacuum.

ACRepair002-VacuumReadings.jpg

(The vacuum lasted all of 30 seconds :rolleyes:)

Step 3) Check weight of freon captured.

ACRepair003-RecoveredFreon.jpg

(11 ounces :rolleyes:)

Step 4) Remove Evaporator Box.

ACRepair004-EvaporatorOut.jpg

(Very easy job - the boffins who designed the car planned for simple evaporator box removal. Compared to my old Brat, this was a breeze)

Step 5) Lines removed.

ACRepair005-LinesOff.jpg

(Engine shot)

ACRepair006-Compressor.jpg

(Compressor)

ACRepair007-CondensorInlet.jpg

(Condenser Inlet)

ACRepair008-CondensorOutlet.jpg

(Condenser Outlet)

ACRepair009-Dryer.jpg

(Dryer)

Step 6) - Compressor removal.

ACRepair010-CompressorOff.jpg

(As you can see, had to take the Alternator off so I could remove the Compressor mounting bracket. Also had to undo left fan so I could get to belt tensioners etc)

Step 7) - Look at components.

ACRepair011-Evaporator.jpg

(Evaporator)

ACRepair012-Compressor.jpg

(Compressor and mounting brackets)

ACRepair013-Lines.jpg

(Lines)

ACRepair014-NewCompressor.jpg

(New Compressor)

Well, those are the photos. The job took about 10 hours because I wasn't rushing.

Back together now and all is well.

The only other thing to note is that the old compressor had a pressure switch on it which the new one didn't. I had to splice the two wires that went to the sensor together to get the compressor to start.

Also had to start adding freon before the compressor would kick in.

Hope the piccies help out!

Steve

Why did you remove all that crap if the compressor was the issue?

Or was there other diagnosis that went on that you didn't mention?

Pics should be helpful to others - thanks.

Did you install new Orings everywhere?

Why did you remove all that crap if the compressor was the issue?

Did you install new Orings everywhere?

Symptoms - The compressor was producing no compression/suction. The gauges read static pressure when it was running.

I bought the compressor kit which means changing the expansion valve (evaporator out). I took the lines off so I could clean them with A/C flush.

On this model you have to pull the alternator to get at the compressor bracket mounting bolts (you cannot get at the compressor - bracket bolts with it on the car - the fuel injection lines are in the way).

I put new orings on every connection and coated them with pag100.

One reason for all the photos was to show all these idiosyncracies.

Steve

I do swap those AC compressors without touching the alternator.

No idea what else was involved - or could be. Thanks for all the info.

I'm AC ignorant. But I can swap an AC compressor quickly and take it back to my AC guy for evacuation, vacuum test, and charge.

I do swap those AC compressors without touching the alternator.

I can see how you can take the lower-right compressor mounting bolt off if you have a 14mm universal socket. The universal adapter I used was too big to get past the fuel line.

You can see the clearance in the photo of the compressor lines removed (6'th photo) - you have to get at the bolt that is to the right of the yellow dipstick handle.

This is why I wanted to post this - so I could get feedback and arm people with knowledge of how to do this - thanks for your suggestion!

Steve

You can take out the 4 bolts on the side that hold the compressor to the bracket. Then you can take out the 14mm bolt with no special socket, remove that part, and then the compressor is free. assembly is revere order.

Good job with the proper equipment and parts. I am guilty of venting to atmosphere. I found a guy with the right equipment, as i am trying to retrofit an ej22 int my car and adapt its compressor tho the existing ac lines. I have removed all the lines to paint the underhood.

I can appreciator your effort and kudos for having the equipment

I can appreciator your effort and kudos for having the equipment

Cheers!

You can take out the 4 bolts on the side that hold the compressor to the bracket.

You don't have a problem with access to the lower right bolt?

You can't get a wrench in there and I couldn't get a socket on it because the fuel supply line is in the way....

Unless I am missing something really simple!!!

Steve

You went to all that trouble and did not replace the dryer?

That would be just silly :)

See one of my previous posts about buying the A/C kit. A dryer is included along with the expansion valve, pag100 oil and A/C system flush.

I just didn't post a picture of it all back together - didn't see the point.

I can if you want :)

Steve

• 4 months later...

Steve, could I kindly ask you if you know where I can Find a Rebuild kit for the EA82 Hitachi Compressors?

I am just facing a huge Problem trying to find that to Fix my Wagon, as you can Read here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126125

Maybe where you Obtained Yours?

ACRepair014-NewCompressor.jpg

(New Compressor)

Kind Regards.

Steve, could I kindly ask you if you know where I can Find a Rebuild kit for the EA82 Hitachi Compressors?

I bought my compressor from Napa autoparts - I didn't buy a rebuild kit - that would have been a nightmare!

Good luck with sourcing your parts - although I hope you can get a reman compressor rather than getting a kit.

I remember buying a reman compressor for my Brat from Napa also (napaonline.com)

Steve