Ultimate Subaru Message Board

And the hack of the day award goes to....

The previous owner of my '84GL :banana:

Ive been chasing carb problems for a while now. Finally decided to fall in line with the rest of the crew and pony up for a Weber.

I found this while tearing it down in prep for the new carb.

hack01.JPG

The Hitachi looked like it had been rebuilt recently. I think the guy must have used a wood chisel and hammer to remove the old gasket material :eek:

The lower gasket on the phenolic spacer wasnt sealing very well.

Shhhh....... dont tell the wife. She thinks the Hitachi carb was totally shot :lol:

Definitely the worst mating surface Ive ever had to deal with.

I spent 20 minutes or so sanding it out with a block and paper. Looking much better, but I think I will have to do some JB weld filling, then sand it out again

:rolleyes:

How does Allmetal hold up to gasoline? I've been unimpressed with JB weld for carb repairs/mods that are in direct contact.

Idasho: Looks good!

it has held up to everything i have thrown at it so far, including gasoline, diesel,and brake fluid and brakleen...

fixed the base of a 32/36 with it, never had issues.buddy fixed an injector boss on a marine diesel with it,no issues.I fixed a broken bleeder screw with it,no problems.

is it designed for all of that?i dunno.but it has been used and abused thats for sure.i would say that the mixture is obviousluy the most important.getting the amounts proper is very important not only for set time, but also strength.

it did not hold up to muriatic acid when i was trying to use it to fix a ding in 1911 frame.but i did not really expect it to:grin:......it just kinda dissolved off chunkily.......

anyways.cheers, b

I used JB Weld to put a brass fitting into the aluminum water cross over passage on my N/A XT spider intake a few years ago. I applied it with a toothpick so I could get an even amount around the base of the fitting, put it under the heater in a spare room for 24 hours and never had an issue. Its passed hands a couple times since I sold it and to my knowledge, it still working. If its prepped correctly and applied correctly, you can do quite a bit with it.

I've also used JB Weld to fix pitted caliper piston bores on a '68 Buick as they were heavily pitted from corrosion.

Well i hope jb weld holds up well because im soon going to be attempting to fix the hole in my transmission case on my tt350 dirtbike.

Had jbweld hold up on the front side of the clutch cover on a 70 something yamaha