Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SnowRat

SnowRat

I have a 1984 Subaru GL Wagon I like to call the "Snowrat". I live in Fairbanks AK. I got this car for free, bone stock, with 109,000k miles on it. No aparant problems with it, other than the carbuerator had some issues with lurching. The car was originally redish maroon, with brown interior.

Being up here in Alaska has many demands on a vehicle. The summer is spent exploring ATV Trails in which I can not do in a fullsize truck, and the winter gets plenty of snow and well you can guess why I wanted a subaru.

I am the type of person who can not leave anything stock, so heres what I've down to the "SnowRat":

Gutted all Emissions, and added a 38mm Weber carb from http://www.webercarbuerator.com The 38mm gets a bit worse gas mileage than the 36mm, but a fair amount of added power. The car has a true dual exhaust with no Catalitic converts. 2 Glass packs and straight pipe. I added the 90amp alternator out of the Maxima and did that conversion. I added a dual battery system to help power my lights as well as my 8000lb MileMarker winch (synthetic winch rope). A bit overkill, but I had it sitting around. Gutted the sway bar and will be adding a tower strut bar.

I bought the 4" Lift kit from Mike Appel from Oregon. Installation was very simple after about 6 calls to mike for suggestions. He was a great help and I'd highly recommend his lift kits. Of course it might have been easier for me to do as I have a car lift at work. I put on 235/75/R15 Trailhandler tires. They equal out to be about a 29" tire. Had to cut out some fender, and hit with BFH to clear, but overall they not only look great, but have an aggressive tread, and still ride smooth on the highway. The car no sits at about 8 1/4" higher than a stock subaru. I sent my original front and rear hubs down to Mike to have the redrilled for 6-Lug, and that was also a pretty easy install. Replaced all 4 Shocks and both front DriveAxles.

Inside I have a nice stereo, CB, Police Scanner, Toggle Switch Box. All windows are tinted 5% Limo. I built a very sturdy rack system for the top which ties into an exo-cage into the front bumper which is very stout. I will be adding the remaining rear half of the exo-cage in due time. Made rear bumper as well with Hitch for front and rear. For those wondering what I can tow with this combo... I have easily towed a 500cc snowmachine/gear/and a dead 1100lbs moose. Also can easily tow my 22ft flatbottom riverboat.

Future Mods:

Rear Winch

Front V-Style Snowplow

Rear Exo-Cage

Thanks again for all the support of this website, I found alot of my mechanical questions answered just by looking at threads.. Here are some photo's enjoy....

IMG_0173.jpg[/img]

IMG_0169.jpg[/img]

IMG_0170.jpg[/img]

IMG_0172.jpg[/img]

Edited by SnowRat

Excellent vehicle, I used to live in Fairbanks.I miss that place sometimes.

You might make some mounts intermittenly about the forward tube, before the cowl mounts.Stability and strength can help smaller tubing like that survive.Also, your bound to hit the exhaust like that, ALthough badass looking.It could have ill effects on money weell spent.She is rather hot though(sorry i always refer to them as she's)...cheers

Just my 2cents...also , check out the Offroad version of this website.

cheers

Edited by monstaru

Very nice....I like the hybrid exo!! Have you leaned it on trees? What size is that? I've got tube fenders and sliders in future plans for my GL. I know what size to use on my Jeep, but I don't need that much weight on my GL and it also weights 1,500 lbs. less than my Jeep.

Welcome to the USMB:grin:

My thought on that was to run my front skid from the bumper to mounts on the front crossmember that would sit just lower than the exhaust tubes. You wouldn't loose any clearance, because if your up that far, your mushing pipes anyway. I'm using 1/8" or 3/16" plate for my skid depending on how it goes together and what supports I can fit behind it.