Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy misfiring on all four cylinders; drives fine

My 1998 Legacy has been blinking it check engine light for a few months now. I finally got a obd2 tester and found the error codes are P0301, P0302, P0303, and P0304. I think that was "misfire detected" on cylinders 1 through 4. It runs fine. It performs like normal and get the same fuel mileage it always has. Any ideas what could be causing these error codes? Thanks for your help.

since this was the first read after months of misfires it's hard to guess what this means. with multiple codes you typically clear them and see what comes back first.

how many miles?

have the plugs and wires ever been replaced?

are they subaru wires?

are the plugs NGK or some other brand?

these engines do best with Subaru wires and NGK plugs, i've seen other brands cause misfires right out of the box.

but if they are all giving codes then the igniter or coil pack may be bad. both easily replaced in a matter of minutes. don't fail often enough to warrant the crazy Subaru prices IMO.

blinking check engine light generally means repair immediately to prevent catalytic converter damage.

how many miles?

have the plugs and wires ever been replaced?

are they subaru wires?

are the plugs NGK or some other brand?

these engines do best with Subaru wires and NGK plugs, i've seen other brands cause misfires right out of the box.

but if they are all giving codes then the igniter or coil pack may be bad. both easily replaced in a matter of minutes. don't fail often enough to warrant the crazy Subaru prices IMO.

blinking check engine light generally means repair immediately to prevent catalytic converter damage.

I will go ahead and clear them and see if they all come back at the same time. It has 196K on it. I do not know how long it has been since the plugs and wires were replaced. I am not sure about the brands of the plugs or the wires. And yes the light does blink at me. Thanks to everyone that has replied so far.

I cleared the codes and started the car and ran it for a minute or so, then checked the codes again. There was no error codes. So I drove it a mile or so and checked again. Still no error codes. I expect them back soon so I will let you know. Thanks

so buy the NGK $2.00 plugs at the parts store and a set of Subaru wires, not cheap parts store wires. this may not fix the problem (if it is the coil) but the ones you are running don't owe you anything.

If you plan to replace the plugs yourself, be aware it is not an easy job. Go to "search" on this forum to read what, and how others have changed their plugs. My experience is that it took me about 3 hours to change four spark plugs. There is just so little room available to change plugs. It just takes a lot of patience to do the job.

I cleared the codes and started the car and ran it for a minute or so, then checked the codes again. There was no error codes. So I drove it a mile or so and checked again. Still no error codes. I expect them back soon so I will let you know. Thanks

It took over 50 miles for the errors to come back. Yesterday the light came on so I checked the error codes last night and this time it is a miss fire on only cylinders one and two. I think I will change the plugs and wires and see if that helps. Thanks everyone for your help.

If, after changing plugs and wires, the codes return - you need to do a valve adjustment, and replace the O2 sensor. Valve adjustment because one has probably never been done so you are at risk of burning an exhaust valve (should do this no matter what actually), and O2 because it can cause a lean condition - especially if it's been exposed to a lot of raw fuel from misfires and is "stuck" on the rich end of it's spectrum.

If it returns again - crank posistion sensor could be faulty. This is the sensor used by the ECU to determine misfire's and which cylinder they are occuring on.

GD

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced all the spark plugs and wires. Now the error has come back again. Should I replace the igniter and coil pack both or can I do one at a time. Or should I look at something else? It is just misfiring on cylinders one and two.

• 6 months later...

OK we have fixed this problem on three different 2.5s in the last year

all three have had loose front balancers the bolts were tight but bottomed out in crank the key-way and key were worn and had to replace key on all three and new washer and shorten bolt one thread (grinder) the loose balancer causes noise and the knock sensor

retards the timing until it missfires and turns on cel. Hope this fix works for you too Joe

thanks Joe our local dealer had replaced (bad loose) timing belts in the past and thought that was what was fixing the problem but one of the Mechanics remembers having to change the key on at least one of the jobs. this may not fix all of them but it has fixed several

Edited by Timodon

Tim this also explains why replacing headgaskets has fixed some of the cars because they have to take timing belts of and why a valve adjustment can fix if they use crank pulley bolt to rotate engine. it will tighten the pulley. OH THE NON BELIEVERS

• 1 year later...