Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My boyfriend has a 05 Legacy GT and we are looking for a new clutch. Any suggestions on a good aftermarket one? The car has 90k miles & we are looking for a stage 1.

Also, is it normal for a Subie clutch to go @ 90k mi? We have an '92 Legacy Sport with over 130k mi and I think it's the original clutch....

(Don't hate or ignore me cause I don't technically have a Subaru! I have been molded into an Subie enthusiast. I'm here to learn & love Subies. We are all car nuts here :banana: )

Also, is it normal for a Subie clutch to go @ 90k mi? We have an '92 Legacy Sport with over 130k mi and I think it's the original clutch....

Driving style has a LOT to do with how long a clutch will last - and driving styles can and do vary depending on the car driven.

9 out of 10 will drive a GT more aggresively than a regular L series without even thinking about it - as in one doesnt realize they are doing it, but they are. :grin:

the other half babied a clutch that was shot when we got the car for another 50,000 miles! granted, it needed a new pressure plate when he did finally cave in & get a new clutch for it, but still....:rolleyes:

Mileage has everything to do with driving style and location (city/country/highway/etc).

90k is not too bad if it's all city drving - but if that's the case you don't want to be going with a heavier clutch as the feel will be all wrong and the pedal will be heavy. Besides that the car isn't making enough power to need a heavier clutch. I've put well over 200 HP though the stock (Exedy) 2.5 RS/GT clutch kit and they don't slip at all.

For comparison - I have customer that went 254k on the original clutch :eek:. So 90k is not a real good run.

Personally I stick with the Exedy clutches (Amazon has the best prices usually) as they have perfect OEM feel - in fact they make the OEM clutches.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder