Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If Subaru decides to make a hybrid, there's no doubt in my mind that it would be totally awesome, and get 60+MPG. However, knowing toyota, and the gas companies in america, it will end up being just as good as the prius. Slow to drive, not anywhere near it's potential, and worse for the environment than any other vehicle on the road today... When will people realize that car companies today don't give a crap about gas mileage or performance? All they care about now and days is making a vehicle that will just barely do what you want, and just barely stand out. Screw main stream cars, I want a Caterham Super7, and I'll stick with my preOBD Subaru wagon.

If Subaru does offer a gasoline-electric hybrid, I would not mind if they offered it with a manual transmission, and the AWD system would remain symmetrical.

Other than that, I would much rather have the Subaru BOXER Diesel with the 6-speed manual :)

if subaru does offer a gasoline-electric hybrid, i would not mind if they offered it with a manual transmission, and the awd system would remain symmetrical.

Other than that, i would much rather have the subaru boxer diesel with the 6-speed manual :)

+10

10 bucks says subaru hybrid would be a toyota callabo. screw that. at least it would look prettier than a prius.

the only reason subaru is jumping on the hybrid train is to appeal to the "eco" crowd and get those incentives and tax breaks and breaks with stupid CAFE regs and such.

Honestly if subaru has to produce a hybrid so that the CAFE regulations don't snuff out the FUEL THIRSTY STI, then I am ok with it. I just won't buy one.

as rock-sauce as boxer diesel's are, they don't get subaru any CAFE reg brownie points.

Euro MPG standard are different then US as thier gallon is larger then ours. Do the conversion and the numbers are not all that impressive. The deisel still does not have a torque converter that can handle the power, and has a tendency to chew up clutches.

It is not ready for prime time here. A deisel in the us has to be 150% perfect, not 100%.