Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Gearset into EJ Trans?

spit

85 RX Turbo Dual Range transmission. It's got crappy ratios but it was very local and cheap, I couldn't pass it up seeing as most EA82 stuff is on the west coast:mad: Plus I want to gain some experience with transmissions.

I've done a lot of reading for the past 2 months about this and haven't really seen any relating pictures or information.

I was wondering if I can put the dual range assembly into my spare 98L transmission front case so I dont need to get a EA clutch and cable for my lifted 97 OBS. I saw someone mention this on the "Stella" build thread but nothing helpful.

Which mount do you use to put a EA82 trans into a EJ car?

If I cant put the dual range setup into a 98L trans than can I put the 3.9 front diff from the 98L into the EA82t transmission?

This would be a crazy hybrid setup but I have spare parts laying around doing nothing. :rolleyes:

Neither are compatible. You can't cross the part-time/full-time/AWD boundaries with internals like that. There are select combinations that will work but you can't use the R&P set from an AWD trans in a part-time trans as the pinion shaft is completely different. Likewise the D/R input shaft and daughter shaft have nowhere to go in the EJ transmission so those also will not swap.

If you want 3.9 in the RX tranny then you need the R&P set from a non-turbo EA82 transmission - but being that is an '85 RX tranny it's no differerent from the "normal" EA82 D/R except it's a 3.7 final drive with a 1.2:1 low range. No locking center diff and still capable of 2WD. Frankly that's pretty much a boat anchor because it's not a FT4WD w/diff lock (87+) and it's got really crappy low range and final drive..... at the point where you have the parts to make it decent you might as well keep the tranny you got the parts from and use that instead :rolleyes:

If you want an EJ tranny with D/R you have to get one from Europe.

GD

Neither are compatible. You can't cross the part-time/full-time/AWD boundaries with internals like that. There are select combinations that will work but you can't use the R&P set from an AWD trans in a part-time trans as the pinion shaft is completely different. Likewise the D/R input shaft and daughter shaft have nowhere to go in the EJ transmission so those also will not swap.

This is not exactly accurate. The center diff case is separate from the front case halves.

What you're looking at doing is not possible, but not because of the part-time/full-time/AWD issues. That's just a matter of using the center diff and case that matches the front pinion.

For example. The transmission that came in my '88 XT6 had a ruined 3rd gear (might have been 2nd....but whatever). That was a 3.90, full-time 4WD (with diff lock) 5MT. I bought a 4.111 impreza transmission, and dropped the internals in the XT6 case, using the impreza center diff and housing. It was very straightforward, and 100% worth it :grin:

The issue is, you can't interchange the front case halves between Dual-range and single-range. There are some crude castings for the low range gearset in the early EJ trans, but it would take some serious machining to actually have the bearing surfaces that would work.

You would need the front case halves from an EJ D/R transmission, with that, you could assemble the ultimate transmission with all parts available here in the US.

You absolutely can put an EJ front ring and pinion in an EA series D/R along with the EJ center diff and housing, but your RX donor needs to be the '87+ FT4WD version. The pinion shaft and transmission output shaft are one piece on the PT4WD version.

You absolutely can put an EJ front ring and pinion in an EA series D/R along with the EJ center diff and housing, but your RX donor needs to be the '87+ FT4WD version. The pinion shaft and transmission output shaft are one piece on the PT4WD version.

Not if you want to retain the centre diff locking mechanism! The EA AWD pinion shaft is longer than that of the EJ's pinion shaft. This is because subaru designed the centre diff on the EA to drive the front wheels from the back of the centre diff and the rear wheels from the front where the drop gears match up.

On the EJ they swapped this around, dropped the locking mechanism and incorporated an LSD on one side of the diff instead. Thus the two different sized pinion shafts between the gearboxes.

But as Numbchux says - if you have an EJ diff ratio you desire and the RX FT4wd gearbox you can use the gearsets and casings with the EJ crown wheel, pinion shaft and EJ centre diff + matching housing.

Cheers

Bennie

• 4 weeks later...

What that gives you is a legacy/impreza style AWD system with an EA bellhousing.

I'm assuming what you and most others are looking for is a D/R 4x4 transmission with an EJ bellhousing, and that can't be done with US parts.

Europe, Asia/austrailia/nz, and south/central america all got EJ d/r's, so you can import if you find one. It'll cost more than $100 though.