Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want to change the coolant. Do I have to take that large plastic skirt off under the engine to get to the drain? When I go in from the top I cant see or feel a drain area, there is a round plastic area that hangs down off the bottom corner, is that where the drain is? Is it opened with a screwdriver.

Sorry I just dont see any obvious drain and dont want to start taking things apart without checking with the experts here first. Thank you

I don't know the specifics on your 2006, however, when changing coolant on my 99, I pull and drop the lower radiator hose. Coolant will drain out fast. I run the engine for a short period of time to pump out coolant in the engine block. Just don't let the engine over heat for lack of coolant. When changing coolant, I also change the thermostat at the same time, even if the existing thermostat is not causing problems. Just remember to give the cooling system a good burp, when adding new coolant.

I also use a garden hose to run water through the radiator, and thru the motor until the water runs clear, then reattach the hose, and refill with coolant.

Edited by Rooster2
add more info

If I have to remove the shield under the radiator I would rather not fool with the hose / clamp. I can feel the drain area and the plug feels like it would unscrew with a flat tip screwdriver does that seem possible? There is only 3 inches down to the plastic shield so it is hard to get at it from the bottom. thank you

Have you looked at how the shield is installed? I'm not familiar with newer models but on my '95 Legacy that "underside" shield has a tab at one end that clips it to another panel and a single screw at the other end. I can remove it or replace it in less than 30-seconds.

• 11 months later...

2003 Baja has poor access to the radiator drain plug, the 1/2 inch hole on the under carriage shield would certainly help and provide a better angle to twist the plug back in, else remove the 3 12MM bolts on the front of shield and the extra 3 inches gives enough clearance to get a small screw driver. In the photo a flat screwdriver sticks well in the phillips slot.

post-17822-136027658299_thumb.jpg

Does your plastic underdoor have the pull out panels? Sometimes those can help to get the needed access. If yours has the slotted head plastic screw in the bottom of the rad that can work. Just make sure to get the right size screwdriver in there, usually a pretty big one, that plastic thing will strip out pretty easily.

Even with the right size Phillips type screwdriver I find it still doesn't seem to fit quite right, leading me to think that plastic 'screw' might actually be JIS.