Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi every one. Long time member, but first time posting.

I have a 1990 legacy wagon with AT and 300k miles. I love this car and its my daily driver. A week ago it started to make a groaning sound that matches the engine RPMs. I took it to the shop and they said the pump in the tranny is failing and a new/used/rebuilt tranny is the only fix. I asked about a fluid flush and the answer was a big "not going to help". I cant find any threads on this so I'm trowing this out to you all. Any idea for a fix? Would the Trans-X super cure help? Is it time for a new tranny or sube?

Thanks,

Dave

Besides noise, is there any slipping? And does it shift smooth?

Noise could just be caused from dirt, changing the fluid and maybe running a flush could clear it out and may quiet it down (As the longer it moans, the more damage there could be) a 4EAT with 300,000 is pretty good, these transmissions are pretty hard to kill.

Check and smell the fluid sometime, if its dark red or has metallic shavings in it or smells burnt, then I would start looking for a new tranny.

-Tom

A Fluid Flush will not help. If it is the front pump time itself will tell soon enough as it chews itself up.

The noise matches engine rpm when, moving, parked, in gear, in neutral...

How is the car performing otherwise.

How loud is the noise. is it a whine, or closer to a scream or metalic whine.

Noises are hard to diagnose over the net, so if we are wrong don't hold it against us

Thanks for getting back to me.

The groan or whining sounds like a power steering pump moan. The car may drive from a cold start a few blocks and then make noise. It may be at low RPM and disappear as the motor revs only to come back at the next gear. Sometimes its noisy from a cold start and fades to a less noisy as you drive.

Someone joked that my sube had a super charger on it.

I have felt on some trips that there is a bit of slip between gears and other times it shifts firm.

The fluid is pink with some dark discolorations, but most people would say it looks fine. I don't smell any burnt smell, but I thought that when I got out of the car I smelled a hot smell that wasn't the normal engine oil smell.

The repair shop that I use specializes in subarus and said they knew of a guy who drove for 5 years with his car making noise. I rely on this car to much to gamble like that, but was just looking for suggestions for what might be a "normal" subaru issue.

No hard feelings for your thoughts. I just need ideas so I can make a wise decision on this cars future.

Dave

The frt pump is a larger version of the PS pump.

It's the pump.

The oddness in shifting is a hint. It gets quieter as it warms up as the fluid gets thinner.

If you rely on this car it is better for you to fix it on your terms as opposed to fixing it on it's terms.

Quick update,

I decided to do a drain and fill twice and added some Trans-X as a last ditch effort. I was surprised that the fluid that drained out was so black that I had to double check that I didn't actually drain the engine oil on mistake. No mistake was made and to think the dip stick was not that bad.

After the two flushes and Trans-X the sounds are now gone, but the tranny just slips. The fluid I added was a Dex/Merc and as best as I can tell should be a direct replacement.

I guess its possible that the reason the noise is gone is that the pump has completely failed and thus a complete tranny fail.

The Trans-X is a good fix for 99 and 00 Subies with the auto trans not wanting to shift into D from R. On those cars, shift into D, and nothing happens for a long while. Trans-X fixes the delay to almost instantaneously shift into D from R. Trans-X prolly was not a good additive to address your slippage problem.

I would recommend Lucas Oil tranny additive that reduces slippage when shifting. I have heard that product works good.

Still the bottom line is that your tranny has 300K miles on it, and the pump is likely just worn out. It is prolly time to replace the tranny with a used one from a wrecking yard, or consider replacing your Subie car with a newer one. She is 21 years old, and I bet has served you well.