Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone got pics of a 2nd gen brat W/ 2" lift?

i am working on a major redesign on my brat. ej18, exhaust, new wheels/tires, and importantly, a lift.

ive seen more 4 inch lifted brat than i can count on my fingers and toes.

whats up with the 2 inch brats?

mcbrat has his beautiful 3" lifted brat. very nice.

what im aiming for is a barely lifted brat, with maybe 120hp, plenty of low rpm torque, and like 27x8.5x15s and some nice tube bumpers, and a small electric winch. and laser cannons. and a bikini model, healthy, not too twiggy.

maybe a cowl hood, like qman has on his silver brat.

but im getting too deep.

i just want to know if anyone has any pics or input, opinions on a TWO inch lifted brat. how they handle vs stock, and vs 4" lift, how the CVs hold up, how the tires wire evenly or unevenly, and how a 2 inch lift feel going around a loose gravel bend at 40mph.

also, im kinda surprised nobody runs yoko geolandars on their soobs.

are those garbage? any thoughts on a michelin ltx? like 205/70/15?

There have been a few though most were 3/4 inch and some 2/3 but not in a long while and that was for the leveled out ride. You will have to talk to Scott or Bill or one of the other lift MFGs to see what they can do or what they think. Personally for my purposes I like the barely lifted mostly because I am not a serious offroader. I just want a capable camping rig that I can go play in the mud with also. So if you do find pics post em.

i specifically want to see a 2" lifted brat. i know a lot of the aussie guys use a 2" on their brumby. due, i assume, to the fact that, from what ive heard on here, 2" is the legal maximum, down under in roo-land.

i know phizinza has a 2" on his cherry red brumby with fat chrome rollbar.

i was hoping someone in the northwest might have a 2inch setup on their brat, locally.

Some guy on craigslist was selling a brat with a 2" lift several months ago. I went to check it out but it had too many problems and the guy was firm on his high price.

post-38050-136027649803_thumb.jpg

That is just the crappy craigs picture, but it was lifted 2" and was sitting on pugs.

thanks a lot uber. youre right, its a very low quality pic. but it helps. and the fact that you looked for it and sent it means a lot.

basically im trying to get an idea of what a 2 looks like, versus a 4". since i dont want to go over about 26.5-27", i dont want it too high. hate the look of lifted rigs with small wheels, looks.........weird.

of course theres a lot of practical logic to my choice. but from a visual standpoint, yea......

but im thinking 205-70-15s would look and work great on a 4" lift anyhow.

No problem.

Here is another I found google imaging for brats w/2" lift

24420270004_large.jpg

His description:

Ok, so its a 89 Brumby/Brat. 2" lift kit running 6stud 14" wheels with Kumho 27x8.5 M/T tyres or 15" alloys with 215/60 street thread. Alloy bullbar with two rectangle spotties. 3" SS rollbar with tonneau cover to suite. EJ22 with a custom gearbox setup using EJ Dual Range casing, EA82t FT4WD gears and centre lockable diff, and EA82 PT gearbox 1.59 to 1 low range gearset.This gave me a AWD gearbox with selectable 4WD and low range.

i dont mind some minor cutting, as long as it looks clean and professional, not ghettofied. oh yea, mcbrat, i am well aware of YOUR blue brat. it is VERY nice. a bit customized, but subtle and smooth. your big bad red brat is killer too, but totally not what IM going for. phizinza has a nice brat, ive seen that one around. not in life, but online, i meant. sjr doesnt seem to be that interested in anything under a 4". he used to advertise 2 and 3. but he told me hed still make one on request. maybe theres just not much demand.

what do you think of a 4, mcbrat? why did you go with a 3?

my mind is getting glued up with all these details. like when i buy the typical lift, whether SJR, AA, or BYB, that lifts EVERYTHING, yea? so then for some reason <camber and cv health?> the crossmember and pumpkin need to be lowered an equal distance?

so if i used a 2 inch body lift, and a kingspring in the front, which claims 1.5" suspension lift. my whole drivetrain<engine, trans, shaft, and pumpkin> would be 1.5" higher than factory stock? and i assume if it lifts the engine, the exhaust would be in the same place, relative to engine, etc, but the exhaust would be higher relative to the road/trail?

sorry for so many questions, and THANK you all very much for the help and input.

As far as lifts go, AA is no longer making kits and same with BYB I believe (do not quote me though). One can lift an EA series car 1 inch more in the struts over stock w/o major cv problems, so you can go 2 inch strut block and 1 inch drivetrain/ body blocks.

King Springs are a suspension lift, like the +1 inch strut blocks, but use a different (longer) spring. They only lift the suspension up, not the whole car (like adjusting the torsion bars on the EA81s). Not sure on the King Springs AND +1 inch strut extensions but highly doubt the cvs would live.

I've searched for a long time regarding lifting my EAs and have found a lot of people who did the 3 inch wish they had done the 4 inch for that extra little front end clearance when doing fun off roading (more than fire roads but not big time). As for the 2 inch, you could do it with Kings and 1 inch blocks but it's a BIG PITA for such a miniscule amount of lift, might as well do the Kings alone, or go with a 3 inch lift to keep it reasonably low. Good luck and have fun.