Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 lowering

I've notice its not very popular to lower the loyales but have seen a few post of people here who have done it. and I have a few questions for those people.

I went ahead and tried today and cut a coil in the back and fliped the top hat. I didnt have much luck with the front though. What would get the front about the same height maybe a tad lower?

The back fender has 1" gap from the wheel, 15s with 60 series tire. I'd like to match that up front. Maybe theres a strut from another vehicle that fits the ea82 steering knuckle but has a shorter body? then just swap the top hat and maybe a shorter spring.

I asked Caboobaroo about his lowering job...

I would go to him and he can tell you about his... I plan to lower my EA82 eventually...

I have the PM he sent me, I could paste it in here, but only with his permission.

Not so sure I would cut springs for lowering though...

Edited by 92_rugby_subie

I think i've figured out what im doing up front: xt struts or similar with an aftermarket spring. Problem is finding xt struts, does anyone still make them? Around here I cant find new or used.

anybody have part numbers? kyb or any aftermarket struts for the xt?

Thanks

has anyone used 2wd loyale struts on a 4wd wagon? Are they just as low or any difference from the xt struts? I can get 2wd loyale struts locally?

For xt struts are there any specific years that they have to be from to fit the loyale or is it all interchangeable?

• 6 months later...

There is tons of info on lowering an EA82 without a 5-lug conversion.

2wd rear shocks mount to the trailing arms where the rear axles go through them on the 4wd which makes them shorter. Also, 2wd XT front struts are believed to be shorter then any other EA82 2wd strut.

KYB makes 2WD struts for the XT. I ran those with the 4WD springs. Was quite the rough ride, but it handled much better. Well, at least for the EA82 suspension. I'm looking to drop the PandaWagon's rear by an inch, but I have not found a good combo yet.

• 1 year later...

KYB makes 2WD struts for the XT. I ran those with the 4WD springs. Was quite the rough ride, but it handled much better. Well, at least for the EA82 suspension. I'm looking to drop the PandaWagon's rear by an inch, but I have not found a good combo yet.

There is tons of info on lowering an EA82 without a 5-lug conversion.

2wd rear shocks mount to the trailing arms where the rear axles go through them on the 4wd which makes them shorter. Also, 2wd XT front struts are believed to be shorter then any other EA82 2wd strut.

Does this work on FWD or AWD GLs or both?

When I asked OBK25XT about his lowering recently he's got coilover sleeves from an 88-00 honda civic with EA82 rear top-hats...

That's my plan eventually..

The lowest ones would be made for the 88-91 Civics since theyre the lightest, this also would mean that 90-01 Integra coilover sleeves should fit too. what about stock civic springs on our struts?

Edited by AWD J3wman