Ultimate Subaru Message Board

00 OBW trans line rusted, leaking

Hi all,

Need some advice for repairing a rusted auto transmission line in my 00 OBW. The line has rusted where it connects to the rubber L hose that connects to the radiator. The only replacement part I can find for this is that L-shaped rubber hose, which is fine. Anyone know of where to get the metal hard lines or a suitable way to utilize a rubber line to replace it? My fear is that using rubber over the 3-foot distance may degrade from the ATF fluid and heat and would prefer to use the hard line.

I see this, http://tinyurl.com/6dqelz5 but is listed only for the GT and L model legacy. Would this work and if so, what hose couplers should be used?

BTW, I had the hose clamps on this thing and will replace them with you more typical clamps.

TIA

-John

People replace the steel lines with rubber all the time. Doesn't hurt a thing.

If you want the real thing it's a dealer only item, but you can get it for around $35 bucks from your local dealer. Sometimes cheaper if you take them a quote from an online dealer such as

https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/partscat.html (copy and paste this part number 45522AE02A ) or

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=20101

or get them used.

or just cut out the rusted part and use a longer rubber hose.

or like he said, just replace them with all rubber.

on the first engine swap i did, 97 GT ej25 to ej22, i bought 2 feet of trans hose. i now know, several swaps later, that each of the hoses are only about 8" each. so 2 feet of hose would easily eliminate the rusted part of your metal lines if you cut them. we're talking <$5 plus clamps. and maybe 2.5 times that if you run all the way to the trans.

Edited by johnceggleston

couple ways to fix this like JCE said - all viable.

i would remove all the old rubber hoses and metal line and replace with rubber. like he said - it's made for ATF and will last 10-20 years, probably well beyond all sorts of other things on the car.

rubber has no chance of rusting and you'll be replacing the metal clamps which also tend to have leaks at those areas. with the metal line you have 4 connections rather than 2 with just one rubber hose. less points of failure and no line to rust. win-win situation to just replace it all with one rubber hose.

Pretty sure this sort of topic of the thread is not something people out west have to deal with. It is such a common issue here and out to the East Coast. If you live in midewest/rustbelt/NE, please inspect everything from hose clamps up front, to the line connectors as mentioned. It only takes about 5 years here for the hose clamps to rust in 2 pieces that hold the lower radiator hose on.

It is a no brainer for me to replace all the lower hose clamps on every winter driven car with the better stainless clamps.

Salt is to blame, well driving in the winter over salt.

I would replace the lines with a rubber hose myself.

If still concerned about using rubber hose, there is special rubber hose that is made to replace gas line. I have used this before to replace a rusted metal gas line. It is made to with stand pressure of high fuel pressure used in fuel injection, so I am positive it would work with lower pressure AT application.

Excellent replies everyone, thanks! When I asked about using rubber the NAPA guy, who I know and trust, very knowledgeable, was saying the ATF properties seep into the rubber and make it spongy. I was kind of doubting this since part of the lines on this vehicle are rubber but I'm just a DIY'er, what do I know about rubber hose properties. Bought a metal fuel line that I was gonna use but I'll switch to rubber and replace all the clamps.

Thanks again guys!

John

Yeah, you can't use regular rubber hose to replace oil or fuel lines.

There is a type of hose branded and labeled as "ATF cooler hose" that I just bought 4 feet of from the local advance auto parts just a few weeks ago that is designed for exactly that. I think it was about 2 bucks a foot.