Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV joints keep going out.

Hi there. first I want to thanks everybody on here for helping me out so much over the past few years. Without all you, my Brat would not still be charging at 308k miles. I hit 300k last winter and snapped a photo for kicks (attached).

My current problem:

I have a 85 brat with an EA81 and I have had to replace the right axle about every six months, and the left one twice over the last four years. Luckily its not too hard or long of an operation and napa's have a lifetime guarantee so it doesn't cost me nothin, but its still kind of a pain sometimes.

Why are they going out so often?

The boot on the right side is directly above the catalytic converter. the exhaust has an extra layer of metal around the catalytic converter but I don't know if there is supposed to be something else, like a shield somewhere between that and the axle.

Also I leak some oil (I think just from the oil pan) that I'm sure hits the exhaust somewhere under the boot for the CV.

Could that cause some sort of extra heat or hot oil splattering that could cause the boot to crack and then tear prematurely?

Any help or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

post-33096-136027650483_thumb.jpg

post-33096-136027650489_thumb.jpg

Yes, the heat and oil could do that. I've heard thats what usually happens to the right side where the cat is so close to the boot. The extra piece of metal around the cat is the heat shield...unfortunately it doesn't work to good. Also driving conditions and style could cause it to wear. And poor mfg. axles/boots. Maybe try a different brand? If the same brand doesn't seem to be holding out. Which it doesn't.

Yeah thanks for the reply. I kinda need to stick to the Napa brand even if I gotta change them out a lot, because they are free every time they go out at least.

Do you know of any tricks to protecting the boot a little bit more? I could try to weld a little plate in there, but there isn't any super good places to weld to. Do people use rubber or anything that you know of?

Thanks a bunch.

Thanks for the write up. All good info. I try to be carefull with u turns and such, but I'll admit I can be a bit hard on them sometimes.

I don't use grease because I'm not changing out just the cv joint. On the EA81's the whole axle is sold as one piece with both cv's on it. Maybe I should pack it with grease myself also? I just figured it was best to not open it up at all. But if I did I could throw zip ties on instead of the metal ones. Although the boot has never ripped at the edge, its always in the middle of the boot, the tear.

Also, I should have mentioned that the INNER CV is the only ones that have ever gone out on me, and those are the ones with the bigger boot already.

I feel like maybe I need a better heat shield in there too. That might be my biggest problem. That and having to do a u turn everytime I park in my driveway.

... the INNER CV is the only ones that have ever gone out on me...

Are you Sure that those comes already Filled with Fresh Grease?

I Don't know the Source of your Axles, but if they are Old Stock, maybe the Grease on them had Dried out...

Six months of Life is a Premature Fail, Specially for the inner ones.

Kind Regards.

I guess I'm not really sure about it. I do know that when the boot finally rips, a ton of grease flies everywhere for a while, but it wouldn't hurt to get some of the grease you recommended also I guess. I'll try that for sure.

Thanks a lot.

Just had a thought. I've never done it or heard of anyone doing it but...maybe you could do a "quick boot" over the original..basically double booting the cv joint? I dunno how you could hold it on, maybe some carefully placed wire ties?

Maybe wrap the dry clean boot in Heat shield silver tape? For the one over the cat. Just McGyver it. :popcorn:

Edited by 952.2LX

• 9 months later...