Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Cooling Temp Poll.

Rust

Just curious what temp. guage readings people who run thier EA82's on a daily basis get. Most of my EA82 cars run with the temp meter at the 1/8 to 1/4 ish area. I recently have been driving a 1986 auto sedan that runs at the 1/2 way mark all day long. Based on my experience of them normally running at the 1/4 mark, I thought it was running too hot. Put in a new thermostat last week and it still runs at the 1/2 way mark. No symptoms of overheating, runs great.

So is my guage off, or do others with EA82's have simmilar normal operating temperatures.

The gauges are not accurate. They are a sanity check only. 1/4, 1/3, 1/2..... talking about a gauge that has no numbers on it. This is silly and worthless. It's not science and it's meaningless.

You can't compare one car to another as the gauges are not even close to calibrated after this many years. If you want an accurate gauge you need to install an aftermarket - preferably a digital panel that reads from a new thermocouple. You can do a rough guess at the temp using a laser infra-red temp gun to check various parts of the system and to "calibrate" your brain to where the gauge sits at various operating temp parameters such as fan cut-in and cut-out temps.

Typically the fan thermo-switch is a much better sanity check than the gauge is. If the fan turns on, and then a short time later turns off. You can be pretty sure the cooling system is operating correctly. The longer the fan has to run - the hotter the ambient temps or the worse the flow is through the radiator. If it runs for more than about 30 seconds on a 70* F day - start looking for cold spots in the radiator, etc.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I agree the dashboard temp guage is just slightly better than an idiot light in terms of an accurate monitoring of your engine, but its good to know others get simmilar readings. I never knew from 1985-1994 EA82's had different radiators? I thought they were all the same. What year did the change happen. How can you tell them appart?

rust is very correct on that too, the g/f has a double row rad and it runs at 1/4 all the time. I have never seen it go past 1/4. I have an 87 GL with a single row rad. and it runs at 1/2 all the time. The Loyale with the double rad. takes longer to warm up, too. The GL warms up pretty quick.

Warmup time is unaffected by radiator size. That's the whole point of a thermostat. Assuming it's working properly.

Sorry to dissagree about the temps of various radiator designs but I just finished up installing a newly resealed engine and new radiator (single row) into a Loyale with an OEM thermostat and all new hoses, etc. It runs at 1/4 on the gauge.

It makes no sense that this wouldn't be the case - the thermostat governs the lowest possible temp of the engine and any properly functioning radiator that can reject enough heat to keep the engine from overheating can sustain the thermostat's desired temperature with proper airflow. Thus - the temp is dependant on the thermostat and not on the radiator design - assuming the radiator is at least minimally sufficient.

If your gauge reads 1/2 - that's fine. If it reads 1/4 that's fine too. As long as you have a mental note of where it's generally reading and YOU note any unexpected changes and react accordingly - it's doing it's job. "Calibrate" your visual gauge experience with a proper infra-red gun or accurate thermocouple and meter.

That is all...... :-p

GD

Warmup time is unaffected by radiator size. That's the whole point of a thermostat.

Good point, didn't think of that. You're absolutely right too, I guess no matter where the needle sits on the gauge is fine, so long as it's not real close to red, and so long as it's consistent. That way if you always run 1/4 and one hot day you're creeping up to 3/4 you know that your car is running a bit warmer than it should be. These dials and measurement devices in our dashboards should be re-named Ballpark Estimations of Engine & Vehicle Information.