Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dun blowed up real good !

Line is from Second City TV , back when tv had cool moments to it. :clap:

OK here's the story. Again , yeah I know.... Meet up with a Ferrari a couple of Lotus cars , and my friend and his dad in his dad's '53 MGTD restored - perfect car - but with the old fellow driving it was undoubtedly the slowest car in the group. My '78 Subaru was a rat box but I was going anyway. Destination was Caffeine and Carbs in New Canaan CT. See my post about the end of the year meet and see exotica on the streets.

Anyhow , we take off from our meeting spot and head south on the Merrit Parkway. Going up the big hill into "no man's land" its a 3rd gear run and I was hammering it. First victim was the MG , next some family cars. Felt great , although my head was a bit in the fog from lack of coffee and my continued poor sleep.

So I got to the top of the hill where it levels off and the engine is still singing. Suddenly I head engine noise , stuff going looesy goosey , clickatyclackety .... and at that time I look down and see I'm still in 3rd gear. Not even attempting to catch fourth quickly could save the beast.

Threw the clutch in and rode it off onto the grass. There goes the MG , quickly wave them onward as they pass.

Now its time to do the engine swap since the engine would not budge either direction.

"Subafreak" - comes through with HUGE help. Here's what we found.

picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=3398

Caused by

picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=3399

and this ....

picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=3400

Number one , your DONE !!!!

Couple of shots of my hero.

picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=3402

Su Ba Freak !!!! :drunk:

picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=3401

Good ole EA71 is only bullet proof to a point.

Actually wish I had a chance to take a closer look at that block, I don't think the rod ever let go. I think the crack in the block was from the peices of shattered piston getting whacked around.

Now the question is......did the valve keeper fall out and let the piston go? Or was it revving so high the valve floated into the piston?

Damn I wish we knew how high that thing was spinning!