Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA to EJ Questions? P.S. Yes I've Read the PDF.

usafmvp01

Hello again ya'll,

Found a guy in Washington today that has a 94' 2.2 w/140K miles, ECU, and wire harness. Should be picking it up this weekend. I have a few questions that maybe someone can answer. I've read the EA2EJ swap PDF several times.

1.) I'm going to replace the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner just to be on the safe side. Is there anything else I should consider replacing while I have the engine out? Head gaskets, seals, etc. I guess I'm speaking from a reliability standpoint.

2.) I was thinking of having the cams ground. Delta cams is right down the street from me and they do regrinds for the 2.2. Any input? Of course this would go along with an intake and exhaust.

3.) I'm installing a clutch kit while I have the EA tranny apart for the install. After reading the PDF, it was suggested to use an XT6 pressure plate. Can I use a clutch kit for an XT6 (pressure plate and disc). I was looking at this one from Exedy:

http://www.exedyusa.com/race/15009

4.) Aside from the engine, mounts, intake(airbox), and wire harness, what else should I pull from the donor car?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards,

Matt

Thanks for the input Rugby. Do you know if anyone makes a complete seal/gasket kit for the engine? Can you recommend a good place online to order these OEM parts through? Also, I've read some things are better off ordered straight from Subaru (such as the thermostat) because of the difference in quality. Is this true? I'd rather not order much through Subaru or the dealership as I know it's normally much more expensive that aftermarket.

Thanks!

Matt

Yes, full XT6 clutch kit will be fine. The pressure plate is the only different part (stronger clamping force). I have bought the Beck/Arnley one from Rock Auto 3 times for 3 different cars (2 behind EJ22s), I love them.

You can get full timing belt kits on ebay for a decent price. Look for PCI brand belt kits. They also have them with a water pump, I've done it that way a few times. If you do, though, get an OEM pump gasket (which is metal, compared to the paper one you'll get with the aftermarket pump).

You can also get OEM crank and cam seals from smallcar.com for much cheaper than most dealers.

I don't get anything from the dealer. The "subaru" dealer up here is also a mopar dealer, and the parts guys don't have a clue or care about the subaru parts.

If you want to do a full rebuild, I recommend getting a full gasket kit from 1stsubaruparts.com. It'll have every gasket for the whole motor....pretty sweet.

I'd also look at replacing that plate on the back of the block for the crank ventilation system with a metal one, apparently the plastic ones have a tendency to warp and leak oil.

Other than that - the crank and cam seals and rear main are a must as already stated...

All the best!

Cheers

Bennie

I'd also look at replacing that plate on the back of the block for the crank ventilation system with a metal one, apparently the plastic ones have a tendency to warp and leak oil.

Other than that - the crank and cam seals and rear main are a must as already stated...

Replace Cam Seals, Valvecover gaskets, Coolant pipe crossover o-rings (1-9/16"x 1/8"), front main, oil pump o-ring and sealant.

definately reseal the seperator plate on the back of the engine.

REAR MAIN........Don't do it unless it is showing real signs of leakage (wet oil, not just a dusty film)

I've seen more issues with rear mains leaking after being replaced than Factory ones. They really are better to be installed when the case halves go toghether, rather than punched in later.

Use full XT6 clutch kit, flywheel cut to the XT6 specs (?.815 Step IIRC)

not necessary

Neither is the EJ:brow:

I mean......uh.....slap in a used EA82 4wd drive clutch on a whatever ol' rusty flywheel you got.

Either, or, and everything between will work.

Edited by Gloyale