Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some members are from PA, some have useless location info.

First time I had to buy one of those endlinks I was shocked at the price as well. I had sent many to the crusher.

Now I have several around here incase I ever need another.

For me it was a few years ago and aftermarket(non performance) was I believe 50-55 bucks.

It's a nice piece of plastic, but not 50 bucks worth of nice.

Ok doing some research on effects of bad valve cover gasket. It sounds like this is it. From what I know the symptoms are 1. oil leak 2. engine stumbles or misses 3. smoke. The legacy has all of these! Questions, does the smoke continuing after the engine is shut off match up with this? What are other things I should check to make sure I am totally sure I am fixing the right thing?

gotcha.:D So, its really making sense for it to be valve covers. When I go to do this job, lets say saturday about 3pm, would that be a bad idea? How long does it take? And if I don't finish before it gets dark, is it a problem to leave it overnight not done? Last time I did something like this we started about 4pm and were up till 3am because we couldn't stop once we started. . . bad idea lol:Flame:

Edited by subarulegacy

It will only take you less then an hour, all you are doing it popping off the PCV hose (On each Cover) then undo the 3 10mm bolts, pop off the valve cover(s) peal out the old seal (It'll be hard kinda like plastic) then install your new seal, use the new grommets they give you (Should have 6) line the cover back up, insert the bolts, and torque them down till they are snug (Give it just a little bit more torque) and you are good. Just do not raunch on them, they do not need he-man force.

And no, you can leave it over night, just put a towel or rag over the head to protect the rockers/cam from water or dirt.

I'm hoping to avoid having to take the engine out, I simply dont have the tools for that. When it eventually does come out, im going to do everything at once that could require engine removal. Im totally with you though, that mechanic made me totally broke for like a month, i had basically $0!

Anyway, Im starting today in a couple hours!:brow: And just have to say, this forum is worth its weight in gold! (or more than that. . . it doesn't weigh anything. But you smell what im steppin on!)

Edited by subarulegacy

And just have to say, this forum is worth its weight in gold! (or more than that. . . it doesn't weigh anything. But you smell what im steppin on!)

Ummm. . .I was going to post pics, no clue how to upload them on here from my computer. And I can't find anything on here on how to do that.

Both of those are related - having a photo gallery here is a privilege you get when you donate to USMB. :brow:

Otherwise, you can use Photobucket or another hosting service... But I recommend the donation. icon14.gif

This is the part im thinking im going to get- http://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-VS50555R-Valve-Cover-Set/dp/B000C2AO1Q/ref=au_pf_ss_2?ie=UTF8&Model=Legacy|64&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Subaru|13&Year=1996|1996&carId=001. No one in town has the part available, so if i have to order it, im going to order it online for cheaper. I need to borrow something to lift the car, and look to see where else it is leaking, make sure this is the right fix. Annddd, its raining, so the fixing is postponed

Edited by subarulegacy

That sounds good! The valve cover kit from a dealer is around $53 but no free shipping so probably more like $65 shipped. That kit on Amazon, I wonder what those gaskets in the center are for? Maybe the turbo vehicles? I thought maybe cam cap o-rings but that's not what they look like.

This thread is turning out well. It went from I got this piece of junk lemon Subaru to ok I'm willing to put some effort into fixing some of this stuff myself. :clap:

if you do a one time engine pull yourself, its very much worth fixing this vechicle...the upside of subarus are they are almost bullet proof in some aspects of engineering. Subaru enthusiasts will provide absolutely every step by step procedure to total repair of this vehicle. The information here is very comprehensive, and its just a matter of locating it. There is one you tube expert that shows engine removal which i found very helpful:

I am a purely a hobbyist and successfully rebuilt my engine with the help of this website. I work as a pharmacist which shows that it does not necessarily take special training.....just a alot of patience and attention to detail.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep the front bumper is in need of a bit of a paint job ain't it? I wonder if they sell spray paint in that color. . . (it could either look good, or as bad as it does now, right? lol)

My pictures have swamp instead of mountains, subaru's can handle mud too right? Not just snow!

And yep its an LSi, only thing I don't like about that is the automatic transmission. Off topic- I got stopped by that train in those pics 3 times that day, the same one every time!

Edited by subarulegacy