Ultimate Subaru Message Board

seems to be the switch, do not have one, would there be away to put a toogle switch to turn on the dash lights or not , or a relay some way, to replace ,thanks or where would the relay located, checked all fuses ,and under hood, ?

Edited by 86subaru

Do you mean the ones in the gauge cluster? I think there's a dimmer switch on the left stalk, though maybe '95 was a little different than '96 I'm thinking of. Or maybe you mean you know that but you don't have one to replace it.

If you mean the lights for the climate control area, those things might just be all blown out. They like to burn out.

i now have had 2 impreza wagons with no dash lights. i replaced the switch with a used working one (checked continuity through it) and they still didn't work. i believe there is a control module behind the stereo which apparently fails and cuts ground to the lights. if you bypass the module and just ground it out it should work. check if you have ground to the lights first.

had the same issue power at the fuse/relays, I blew the illumination module, under the kick panel by your feet, bypass the module by jumping the black wire to the yellow/red wire? correct me if im wrong here, and see if the lights work, if so there is no dimming of the dash lights just on bright, go to a junkyard and get one there instead of a new one as they can be pricey